McDaniel College breaks ground on a new, fully equipped multipurpose stadium to support intercollegiate sports teams, such as Green Terror football, women’s field hockey, men and women’s lacrosse and men’s and women’s track and field, in addition to special events.
The stadium will retain its hallmark bowl setting and tradition of drive-in tailgating while increasing seating capacity. The multi-million dollar project includes a two-story brick and concrete stadium to be built on the site of the current grandstand. Features are concessions, public restrooms, coaches, observation boxes, a large press box, filming areas, additional seating, home and visiting team meeting rooms, and a reception and gathering room. In preparation for the stadium groundbreaking, the Yingling family funded the installation of new field lighting completed in 2010.
Funding for the project, which was outlined in the campus master plan, has been generated solely through individual gifts and not drawn from the college’s operating budget. Further details of the project will be unveiled at the groundbreaking.
Approximately 100 guests will be in attendance for this invitation-only ceremonial groundbreaking, including McDaniel students, faculty, and staff, members of McDaniel’s board of trustees, and alumni and friends of the college who have made gifts to the project. A 90-year-old shovel, first used in 1922 at the groundbreaking of McDaniel Hall, will be used marking its 14th such groundbreaking event.
- Dr. Roger Casey, president of McDaniel College
- Martin K.P. Hill, chair of the McDaniel Board of Trustees and president of Hill Development Group, LLC
- Ken R. Gill, 1961 alumnus, chair of the Stadium Project Committee at McDaniel and managing partner of Deer Valley Corporate Center
McDaniel’s dynamic athletic program enriches the college’s living-learning community. The new stadium will help support the college’s student-athletes, its coaches, and spectators by providing an improved game-day experience.
In 1890, the first athletic field was purchased by Western Maryland College, now McDaniel College. The first football game was played in Westminster against Pennsylvania College (now Gettysburg College) on October 31, 1891.
In 1921, college president Albert Norman Ward announced a special campaign to create a new athletic field. Hoffa Field was dedicated in 1922 and is located on the current stadium site.
Another major renovation took place in 1980 - 1981 with the construction of an all-weather track, which required the football field to shift slightly to the west to accommodate eight lanes. New metal grandstands and a press box were also added. A significant contribution for the project from trustee Scott Bair resulted in the naming of the renovated stadium that was dedicated in 1981. The track was resurfaced in 1997.
Field improvements followed the 1996 signing by the newly formed Baltimore Ravens to hold their summer training camp at the college.
McDaniel shared the costs with the Baltimore Ravens to install Sportexe artificial turf in 2004. The Yingling family funded the installation of new field lighting in 2010.
McDaniel College was named one of the top tailgating schools in the nation by The Weather Channel in October 2011.