Writing for Children & Young Adults Certificate
The McDaniel College Writing for Children & Young Adults (WCYA) Certificate Program is designed for working professionals who want a straight path to publishing in the field. The graduate online courses are taught by experts in the field, including editors at major publishing houses and published children and young adult authors.
This five-course (15 credit) graduate certificate program is offered exclusively online to accommodate your busy schedule.
Key Features of the WCYA program include:
• Take the next step toward publishing your works.
• Learn from and network with industry professionals and award-winning authors.
• Receive peer and expert critiques.
• Hone your writing and editing skills.
• Fit courses into your busy schedule with flexible online course delivery.
• Pursue just one course or take the whole program for a graduate certificate.
• No course sequencing—Take what you want when you want.
• Earn graduate credit that can be transferred into McDaniel’s Master of Liberal Arts (MLA) program.
• Your work will be reviewed and critiqued by experts in the field.
• The program is 100% online.
• The program equips new and aspiring writers with essential skills and helps to hone the skill-set of experienced writers.
• Highly competitive tuition.
• Completed application for graduate study
• Submit the non-refundable application fee
• Official transcripts verifying completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. No minimum GPA required.
• Successful completion of all five courses (15 credits).
Fall Semester – August 1
Spring Semester – December 15
Summer Sessions – May 1
1. How do I apply?
Visit the How to Apply page for application procedures and forms.
2. Will I have contact with the instructors?
Yes, regular dialogue, review, discussion and critiques will occur throughout each course. The instructors will also be available for questions and feedback.
3. Will I be published as a result of this program?
Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee that your work will be published. What we can promise is that experts in the field including scholars and authors will review and critique your work to help you produce a highly polished and professional proposal package.
4. Can I apply these courses toward a Master’s degree?
Yes, these courses can be applied toward the McDaniel Master’s of Liberal Arts (MLA) program (assuming you earn a “B” or better in them).
5. Can I take just one course?
Yes, you can elect to take just the course(s) you want and courses can be taken out of sequence.