Inclement Weather Policy
McDaniel College is primarily a residential college with a majority of its undergraduate students living on campus; therefore, it is the intention of the College to remain open during inclement weather conditions.
For an overnight weather-related event, the announcement will be made by 6 a.m. Announcement regarding evening graduate classes on McDaniel campus will be made by 2 p.m. and Saturday classes by 7 a.m. Off campus graduate classes will not be held if the county school system where the class is held closes school due to inclement weather, and off campus weekend graduate classes follow procedures outlined in the class syllabus.
If conditions warrant the closing or a delay in opening the College, these procedures will be followed:
1. The announcement of the decision will be:
- Posted on the main page of the McDaniel website at http://www.mcdaniel.edu/.
- E-mailed to campus community, including faculty, staff and students.
- Posted to McDaniel’s official Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/McDanielCollege and on Twitter @McDanielCollege.
The College's main phone line at 410-848-7000 will be answered by the Department of Campus Safety after-hours and when the campus is closed.
In addition, media outlets in the Carroll County/Baltimore area, as well as Washington, D.C., and in South Central Pennsylvania, are also notified of McDaniel’s campus status. However, do not depend on the news media for complete, accurate, up-to-date information.
[Note: The McDaniel Alert system will NOT be used to report on routine campus closures or late openings due to inclement weather. That system is used only to notify of imminent danger or a life-threatening campus emergency. To sign up for McDaniel Alert, visit the McDaniel Alert Portal.]
2. What the announcements mean:
- McDaniel College is closed.
– All classes (day and evening, undergraduate and graduate) classes and all events are canceled unless specified.
– Off-campus graduate courses always follow the home school system announcement. If your home school district is open then McDaniel graduate classes held in your district will meet, regardless of conditions at the Westminster campus.
– Administrative offices will be closed. (Employees check policy below.)
– Operational will be Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services (first priority is weather related). Health Services will be available by phoning Campus Safety. Hoover Library will be closed.
- McDaniel College opens at (10 a.m., 11 a.m. or noon)
– Class start times occurring prior to the rescheduled opening are cancelled, unless 50 minutes or more remain of the class period.
– The regular class schedule will be followed during the rest of the day.
– Administrative offices will open at the scheduled time unless otherwise noted. (Employees check policy below.)
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Health Services, and Building Services will be operational, although perhaps on a limited basis. Hoover Library will open when the College opens.
- Graduate classes are cancelled.
– All graduate classes are cancelled, but undergraduate classes will be held unless specified as “All EVENING classes cancelled.”
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Health Services, and Building Services will be operational, although perhaps on a limited basis. Hoover Library may open for limited hours (check times by calling extension 2281 or 2282).
- McDaniel College is closing at (2 p.m., 3 p.m., etc.)
– All classes and all events scheduled after the closing are canceled.
– Administrative offices will also close. (Employees check policy below.)
– Operational will be Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services (first priority is weather related). Health Services will be available by phoning Campus Safety.
Inclement weather information for employees
In the event that weather conditions create circumstances where employees may be unable to travel to work, the College will announce that one of the following policies is in effect:
- Liberal Leave Policy
Employees, with the exception of essential personnel who are designated by department heads, may take vacation time, personal business time, compensatory time (supervisors will accommodate staff with compensatory time whenever possible), or leave without pay in lieu of reporting to work. It is the employee's responsibility to exercise judgment as to whether travel conditions are too hazardous to report to work. When in doubt, the employee should place safety first.
- College Closed
In rare circumstances, the College might be declared closed. If the College is closed, the time period when it is closed will be counted as time worked for employees who had been scheduled to work. Essential personnel, as designated by their department heads, are required to report to work as notified during inclement weather conditions. The College Information Desk phone line and this web site will be the ONLY official sources of inclement weather policy information for employees. A recorded message at the College Information Desk phone line will inform callers of the College's status during inclement weather. Call 410/848-7000 or 410/876-2055 for the correct information.