Inclement Weather Policy
McDaniel College is primarily a residential college with a majority of its undergraduate students living on campus; therefore, it is the intention of the College to remain open during inclement weather conditions.
For an overnight weather-related event, the announcement will be made by 6am. An announcement regarding evening graduate classes on McDaniel's main campus will be made by 2pm and Saturday classes by 7am. Off campus graduate classes will not be held if the county school system where the class is held closes school due to inclement weather, and off campus weekend graduate classes follow procedures outlined in the class syllabus.
New Snow Removal Plan
Beginning in 2016, we will use a tiered system of snow removal. Below are the color-coded campus maps with an explanation of how we will clear pathways.
RED (view map here): The first group of pathways that will be cleared is identified in red. These are the routes that will be cleared first and we will work to keep them snow free when school is closed or after normal school hours.
GREEN (view map here): The second group of pathways is identified in green. When school is open, both red and green thoroughfares will be cleared.
YELLOW (view map here): Finally, once the inclement weather has passed and both the red and green paths are opened, the yellow areas of the map will be cleared.
Closing and Delayed Opening Policy
If conditions warrant the closing or a delay in opening the College, an announcement of the decision will be:
- Posted on the main page of the McDaniel website at http://www.mcdaniel.edu/
- E-mailed to the campus community, including faculty, staff and students
- Posted to McDaniel's official social media sites:
The College's main phone line at 410-848-7000 will be answered by the Department of Campus Safety after-hours and when the campus is closed.
In addition, media outlets in the Carroll County/Baltimore area, as well as Washington, D.C., and in South Central Pennsylvania, are also notified of McDaniel’s campus status. However, do not depend on the news media for complete, accurate, up-to-date information.
[Note: The McDaniel Alert system will NOT be used to report on routine campus closures or late openings due to inclement weather. That system is used only to notify of imminent danger or a life-threatening campus emergency. To sign up for McDaniel Alert, visit the MyMcDaniel Portal and click on “Campus Safety” under “Student Resources.”]
What the announcements mean:
- McDaniel College is closed.
– All classes (day and evening, undergraduate and graduate) classes and all events are canceled unless specified.
– Off-campus graduate courses always follow the home school system announcement. If your home school district is open then McDaniel graduate classes held in your district will meet, regardless of conditions at the Westminster campus.
– Administrative offices will be closed. (Employees check policy below.)
– Operational will be Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services (first priority is weather related). Health Services will be available by phoning Campus Safety. Hoover Library will be closed.
- McDaniel College opens at 10 a.m.
– Administrative offices will open at 10 a.m. unless otherwise noted. (Employees check policy below.)
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Health Services, and Building Services will be operational, although perhaps on a limited basis. Hoover Library will open when the College opens.
– The following class schedules will be in effect:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Classes Normal Delay 8:00-9:00 am 10:00-10:40 am 9:10-10:10 am 10:50-11:30 am 10:20-11:20 am 11:40-12:20 pm 11:30-12:30 pm 12:30-1:10 pm 12:40-1:40 pm 1:20-2:00 pm 12:40-2:10 pm 1:20-2:25 pm 12:40-3:40 pm 1:20-4:00 pm labs/seminars 1:00-4:00 pm 1:20-4:00 pm labs/seminars 1:50-2:50 pm 2:10-3:05 pm 2:20-3:50 pm 2:35-3:50 pm 3:00-4:00 pm 3:15-4:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday Classes Normal Delay 8:00-9:30 am 10:00-11:00 am 9:40-11:10 am 11:10-12:10 pm 11:20-12:50 pm 12:20-1:20 pm meeting period 1:00-2:30 pm 1:30-2:45 pm 1:00-4:00 pm 1:30-4:00 pm labs/seminars 2:40-4:10 pm 2:55-4:10 pm
- McDaniel College opens at noon.
– In the event that the College does not open until noon, all classes with a start time prior to noon will be cancelled and classes with a start time after noon will run as normally scheduled.
- Graduate classes are cancelled.
– All graduate classes are cancelled, but undergraduate classes will be held unless specified as “All EVENING classes cancelled.”
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Health Services, and Building Services will be operational, although perhaps on a limited basis. Hoover Library may open for limited hours (check times by calling extension 2281 or 2282).
- McDaniel College is closing at (2 p.m., 3 p.m., etc.)
– All classes and all events scheduled after the closing are canceled.
– Administrative offices will also close. (Employees check policy below.)
– Operational will be Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services (first priority is weather related). Health Services will be available by phoning Campus Safety.
Inclement weather information for employees
In the event that weather conditions create circumstances where employees may be unable to travel to work, the College will announce that one of the following policies is in effect:
- LIBERAL LEAVE POLICY: Employees in non-essential positions may elect to use liberal leave should travel conditions be too hazardous to report to work. When in doubt, the employee should place safety first.
Forms of Liberal Leave:
- Using Available Paid Time Off: Employees may elect to use available vacation time or personal business time to account for the time missed.
- Flexing Schedules: Employees may choose to make up the missed time on a different day. The hours must be made up within the same workweek in which the liberal leave was used.
- Using Unpaid Leave: Should the employee not have any available vacation or personal business time and not be able to flex his or her schedule, the employee may use this time as leave without pay.
- COLLEGE CLOSED: In rare circumstances, the College might be declared closed. If the College is closed, the time period when it is closed will be counted as time worked for employees who had been scheduled to work.
Essential personnel, as designated by their department head, are required to report to work as notified during inclement weather conditions.
Again, the official sources for inclement weather information are the main page of the McDaniel.edu website, an email announcement to the campus community, the official McDaniel College Facebook page, and on Twitter @McDanielCollege.