Baltimore-based France-Merrick Foundation announces half-million dollar challenge grant to McDaniel
Matching funds will be raised over the next three years to endow scholarships with preference given to those undergraduates who wish to earn their teaching certification in elementary or secondary education. McDaniel is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education and offers minors in elementary, secondary, and Pre-K - 12 education.
According to college records, a large percentage of McDaniel alumni live and work in the Baltimore-metro area. “Our alumni contribute their knowledge, skills, and expertise to making a difference and improving life in their communities, in the region, and in the state,” said President Joan Develin Coley.
“The outstanding reputation of the France-Merrick challenge will help attract alumni major gift donors as well as new, first-time corporate and foundation donors. We are grateful to the board for their belief in McDaniel that spans from the 20th century into this one,” Coley added.
The Carpe Diem Campaign for McDaniel will “seize the day” and raise $65 million by Dec. 31, 2009, to support the residential learning-living community that empowers students to attain their educational goals and lifelong learning skills essential to navigate in today’s global world.
Since its founding in 1867, McDaniel has opened its doors to all, regardless of race, creed, gender, or cultural background, and is dedicated to removing the financial barriers to a McDaniel education for students.
The merger of the Jacob and Annita France Foundation and the Robert G. and Anne M. Merrick Foundation created the France-Merrick Foundation. The foundation supports civic and cultural activities, public education, private and higher education, historic preservation and conservation, and health and social services.
France-Merrick have long been supporters of the private, liberal arts college and since 1963, awarded the College over $500,000, primarily for academic building projects, including Eaton Hall of Science dedicated in 1999.