Undergraduate
Graduate
Alumni
Information
Search

CEO of Pratt Library to speak at Hoover Library’s 20th anniversary

September 27, 2011

Hoover Library at McDaniel College bookmarks 20 years with “Looking at our Past, Planning for our Future,” a program featuring keynote speaker Carla Hayden, CEO of Enoch Pratt Free Library, at 4:30-5:30 p.m. Oct. 13 on the second floor of the library.

The events are free and open to the public.

“The celebration will commemorate the 20-year history of the Hoover Library, discuss where libraries are going in the future, and how we will plan changes to create a new student-centered design of the building at the heart of the campus,” says Jessame Ferguson, director of Hoover Library, who will discuss proposed student-focused renovations.

Also, archival exhibits will be on display and Professor of English Emeritus LeRoy Panek will present video highlights. Tours of the library will be available after the 4:30-5:30 p.m. program.

Earlier in the day, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., the staff from Carroll County Public Library will be available to answer questions and share information about e-book readers, including the iPad, Barnes and Noble Nook/NookColor/NookTouch, Kobo, Sony Touch, Pandigital and Amazon Kindle during an “E-Book Reader Extravaganza.”

“It’s a significant time in the life of the Hoover Library,” Ferguson says. “As we prepare to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the current building, we are looking at how we will update the library to support a whole new generation of students with radically different needs.”

The anniversary celebrates the October 1991 dedication of a $10-million addition that doubled the size of Hoover Library and included the installation of seven stained-glass windows symbolizing the liberal arts in a modern context while implying their evolution in form and function. Nearly a century earlier, the classes of 1905-1912 donated seven stained-glass windows symbolizing the medieval liberal arts which may be seen from the Understage in WMC Alumni Hall.

Hoover Library was originally built in 1962 and named for Samuel Hoover, a Baltimore dentist, trustee and major donor to the college. It was the first building on campus to be air-conditioned. On May 9, 1962, classes were cancelled so that students and faculty could move the college’s collection from the old library, now Peterson Hall, to the new. With then Dean Helen Howery vacuuming each book before it left Peterson, the entire move took three hours, half the time predicted.

 
Fall undergraduate registration
April 16, 2014, 12:00 am
"EVIL DEAD: The Musical"
April 16, 2014, 7:30 pm
McDaniel String Ensemble
April 17, 2014, 7:00 pm
Junior Visit Day
April 21, 2014, 9:30 am
Student Solo Recital
April 21, 2014, 7:00 pm
The Ridington Lecture
April 22, 2014, 7:30 pm
Musician Brandon Stiles
April 22, 2014, 8:00 pm
Larry Hogan: What I’ve Learned
April 23, 2014, 4:30 pm
Graduate Open House
April 24, 2014, 5:30 pm
Student Chamber Music Ensembles
April 24, 2014, 7:00 pm
McDaniel Dance Company Recital
April 25, 2014, 7:00 pm
Animal House - Decker Auditorium
April 25, 2014, 9:00 pm
Spring Undergraduate Awards Ceremony
April 27, 2014, 12:00 am
Junior Open House
April 27, 2014, 1:00 pm
Children's Chorus of Carroll County
April 27, 2014, 2:00 pm