- Free tax assistance for low- to moderate-income taxpayers through April 3. The program, called the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), is designed to help those who are single earning less than $35,000 and couples earning no more than $50,000. The service is available by appointment only on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturdays from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. To schedule an appointment, call 410-871-3344 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carroll County: Photographs by Walter P. Calahan, through March 19, Esther Prangley Rice Gallery, Peterson Hall. For gallery hours: Call 410-857-2595 or visit www.mcdaniel.edu/5531.htm.
- “Blood Wedding,” 7:30 p.m. March 3-6 in WMC Alumni Hall. Tickets are $7 for adults; $5 for seniors, students, and the McDaniel community. Call 410-857-2448 or visit www.mcdaniel.edu/3594.htm.
- Piano Recital by the students of Music Lecturer David Kreider, 7:30 p.m. March 5 in Levine Recital Hall. Approximately 10 students will perform the music of Frederic Chopin in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the composer’s birth.
- “Departures,” Japanese with English subtitles, PG-13, 8 p.m. March 5 (rescheduled from Feb. 5), 2010 Foreign Film Festival at Carroll Arts Center, Free admission to students, faculty and staff with McDaniel College I.D., $6 Adults/$5 CCAC members, seniors 60+, students under 18. For more info, visit the Arts Center website www.carr.org/arts.
- “That’s What She Said,” Honor Students Art Exhibit, March 23 - April 2. An artists’ reception will be held 7-9 p.m. March 23 in the Rice Gallery in Peterson Hall. The show will feature work from senior art students Amanda Beck Mauck, Kimberly Clemens, Rachel Held, Tyler Mullan, Jessica Paskowski, and Amelia Reiniger. Information and gallery hours: Call 410-857-2595 or visit www.mcdaniel.edu/5531.htm.
- Mary Jo Salter, Johns Hopkins professor and author of six books of poetry, will deliver the 24th annual B. Christopher Bothe Lecture at 7:30 p.m. March 25 in McDaniel Lounge.
- “Chopin: Drama and Delirium” with Thomas Mastroianni, piano and Vasily Popov, cello, 7:30 p.m. March 26 in McDaniel Lounge.