- Bill Schmidt: Recent Paintings and Drawings Sept. 30-Oct. 24, Rice Gallery, Peterson Hall. For gallery hours, call 410-857-2595.
- National Psychology Synergy Conference Oct. 17-18 hosted by Psi Chi and Psi Beta, the psychology honor societies of McDaniel College and Carroll Community College includes a 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 performance of “Hearing Voices (Speaking in Tongues)” by poet, playwright and performer Michael Mack. Registration fee. Full details.**
- Ellen Sauerbrey ’59, a former ambassador to the U.N. commission on the Status of Women, will explore the topic “When Women Have No Political Power” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 21 in McDaniel Lounge, sponsored by the McDaniel Women’s Leadership Network.
- Brown University Professor Kevin McLaughlin ’81 returns to the Hill to present “Wiped Out: Matthew Arnold’s Resignation” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28 in McDaniel Lounge.
- Ina Merdjanova, director of the Center for Interreligious Dialogue and Conflict Prevention in the Science Research Department of Sofia University, Bulgaria, will discuss “Islam, Post-Communism and Muslim Women in the Balkans” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28 in Decker Auditorium. The discussion will center on the redefinition of Balkan Muslim women’s identities and roles in post-communistic times and the continuing influence of economic, social and political factors on Muslim women.
- Opening Oct. 28: Joy and Panic: Paintings by Seth Adelsberger
Oct. 28-Nov. 14, Rice Gallery, Peterson Hall. For gallery hours, call 410-857-2595.
Opening Reception: Oct. 28 from 7-9 p.m. http://www.sethadelsberger.com
- Madrigal Singers present “A Renaissance English Manor Murder Mystery,” a Madrigal Feast at 6 p.m. Nov. 1 in Decker Center Forum. Tickets for the performance and dinner are $30. For more information, call 410-857-2599.
- Chamber Music on the Hill presents Steven Thomas on cello and David Kreider on piano at 3 p.m. Nov. 2 in Baker Chapel. Tickets are $15 for adults and $8 for seniors and students.
- Monday Night Music presents Kathrin Murray and Nick Currie at 7 p.m. Nov. 3 in McDaniel Lounge.
- Homecoming is Nov. 8. The Green Terror takes on Gettysburg at 1 p.m. Nov. 8 at Bair Stadium. Start the weekend at the Sports Hall of Fame Banquet at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 7. Banquet tickets are $25, and reservations are required.
** Visit http://www.michaelmacklive.com/ for more information about Mack’s performance at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 in the Scott Theatre at Carroll Community College. The conference fee, which includes Mack’s performance, is $25 for students and 2008 graduates with a valid student ID and $45 for non-students. Walk-in registration is $30 for students and 2008 graduates and $50 for non-students. Tickets for the “Hearing Voices” performance alone are $20. The event will be held at Carroll Community College. A brochure and registration form is online at http://www.psibeta.org.