Rembert House Dedicated
(From left) Don '61 and Judy Ellis Rembert '60, Jake Butler '13, WMC Heritage Scholarship recipient; Jake's grandparents Barbara (Willis '60) and Bob Butler '57.
Judy and Don Rembert unveil plaque.
The Remberts initiated the WMC Heritage Society in 2004 as a way for alumni to teach and promote our history. They engaged other alumni to join them in making gifts to this society. To date, those gifts have underwritten the publication of Fearless and Bold; established an annual scholarship and renovated the “old house” as a permanent home for the WMC Heritage Society. It will house historical displays, host small alumni meetings and provide a campus apartment for visiting scholars and lecturers.
Ethan and Debbie Seidel.
Ethan and Deborah Dale’84 Seidel were also recognized for their generosity at the October 29th rededication held on Homecoming weekend. The first floor room is now named Seidel Conference Room. Also installed outside is a plaque recognizing Catherine Schumann Kiddoo ’46 who has endowed the maintenance of the grounds around the Rembert House.
The property built around 1830, was rented by Professor Fayette Buell in the spring of 1860 when he opened a private academy for instruction, and lived here with his wife Ellen and their six children.
He taught classes in the downstairs rooms while the family resided upstairs. By 1863 Fayette Buell changed the name of his school to Westminster Seminary.
Buell met Reverend James T. Ward, who lived across the street at 188 Pennsylvania Avenue, and with the financial support from John Smith of Wakefield, and Isaac Baile, Buell moved forward to purchase eight acres on the top of the hill where the first college building was constructed. Buell and his family moved into that building in September 1867 when the first students of Western Maryland College arrived for classes that began on September 4.