Ten McDaniel graduates nominated for Maryland School Librarian of the Year
Professor of Library Science Mona Kerby couldn’t be prouder — 10 of the 25 nominees for Maryland School Librarian of the Year announced Feb. 6 are graduates of McDaniel’s School Librarianship master’s program.
“The fact that 40 percent of the nominees come from McDaniel College indicates that our graduates are making a powerful difference in the lives of Maryland school children,” says Kerby, L. Stanley Bowlesbey Chair in Education and Graduate and Professional Studies and coordinator of McDaniel’s highly regarded graduate School Library Media program.
The program, Kerby says, has been carefully crafted to meet and to exceed American Association of School Librarians standards.
“Our assignments are authentic, relevant and practical,” she says. “We believe in the power of reading, access to information and developing life-long learners.
“We believe that school librarians have the power to change young students’ lives for the better.”
The 2017 Maryland School Librarian of the Year award honors a school librarian for exemplary service and outstanding achievements in the field of school library media. Nominees must exemplify the five roles of a library media specialist: administrator, leader, information specialist, teacher and instructional partner. Finalists will be announced in February and the recipient of the award will be named at the Common Ground Conference May 4–5 in Ocean City, Md.
Nominees must be a current member of the Maryland Association of School Librarians (MASL), a certified school librarian, actively serving as a school librarian in a public, private or independent school in Maryland that serves any students in grades PreK–12, and serving in the same role/position for three or more years.
McDaniel graduates who are nominees with for the 2016-2017 Maryland School Librarian of the Year:
- Ann Duncan, Walkersville Middle School, Frederick County Public Schools
- Jennifer Hamilton, Oakland Mills Middle School, Howard County Public Schools
- Laura Hicks, Frederick High School, Frederick County Public Schools
- Kimberly Johnson, South Carroll High School, Carroll County
- Cassandra Lopez, Northfield Elementary School, Howard County
- Emily Nauman, Monocacy Elementary School, Frederick County Public Schools
- Brittany Nuse, Valley Elementary School, Frederick County Public Schools
- Maria O’Toole, Carroll Manor Elementary School, Frederick County Public Schools
- Jennifer Shesman, Thurmont Middle School, Frederick County Public Schools
- Heather Wysokinski, Leonardtown Middle School, St. Mary’s County Public Schools
A complete list of all nominees, including their professional biographies, is available on the Maryland Association of School Librarians website. Visit http://maslmd.org/md_sloy/1803-2/ for more information.