Campus Resources / Support for First Year Students
The First Year Experience offers new students ongoing individual and class support throughout the entire first year at McDaniel both academically and socially.
Fall & Spring Support and Social Events Linked to First Year Students
- Workshops on time management, academic strategies, getting to know Westminster, presentations on campus offices and resources to help new students.
- Social events throughout semester designed for the first-year students
- Project teams of peer mentors to help with typical retention issues facing first-year students
- Facebook group for students continues throughout entire year
- Family Weekend (Date to be announced soon.)
- First Year Student Appreciation Week
- Peer Mentor Program for support for transition needs
- First Year Council (formed in the Fall semester of current students) sponsors events in the Spring to connect students and ease transition into Sophomore year.
Important Offices & Support in the First Year:
The First Stop
The "First Stop" – Center for the First Year Experience, serves as a home base for students in their first year at McDaniel (first-year or first-year transfer). First Stop is the one-stop place for students to ask questions, get information, come in and say “hello” and get individual academic support. First Stop houses many components of the First Year Experience Program including the Peer Mentor program, First Year Seminar, Transfer Student Seminar, and new student orientation. The center also hosts workshops and meeting space for student programs (peer mentor programs, academic workshops, tutoring, First Year Council, Alpha Lambda Delta first year honor society, and more). As the First Stop expands and grows, it will provide additional opportunities for first-year students and families to connect to the community through this new center.
The First Stop is located in Hoover Library – 2nd floor.
The center can be reached at: 410-857-2790 or email@example.com.
Student Success Specialist
Dr. Wendy Stevenson serves as the College's Student Success Specialist. In this position, she proactively supports academic success and retention for all new and continuing students. She works closely with students in academic difficulty throughout all years at McDaniel with the goal of collaborating with them to improve their academic performance. With almost 20 years of experience working with students, Dr. Stevenson is committed to ensuring that undergraduate students have the best possible college experience and do well academically to prepare them for whatever lies ahead after graduation. She connects with students in many ways including in person meetings, via email, phone calls, and at campus events and activities.
Dr. Stevenson' office is conveniently located in First Stop. Please call (410) 857-2790 or email Dr. Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org for the latest Study Break times as well as dates and times of upcoming workshops.
Math Placement Exam Review Materials
Math Placement Exam retakes are offered online in July and on campus four times per year. Want to brush up on your skills? Click HERE!
- 2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog
- The McDaniel Plan - your customized and personal curriculum
- FYS Faculty Advisor and/or Department Advisor
- Department Chairs/Academic Departments
- First Year Seminar (FYS) Course descriptions (This is a sample of FYS classes only!)
- Faculty Members Teaching Courses
- FYS Peer Mentors, Honors Peer Mentors (for FY students) and Transfer Peer Mentors for new transfers
- Student Academic Support Services (SASS Office: For students with documented disabilities)
- Center for Experience and Opportunity (on-campus employment, community engagement, career development, scholarships/fellowships)
- Hoover Library
- Writing Center
Student Affairs/Student Life Resources
- 2013-2014 Student Handbook (Please check back in August for the 2014-2015 update of the handbook.)
- Office of Residence Life
- Residence Life FY FAQs
- Wellness Center (Student Health and Counseling Services) Click the Wellness link at the top!
- Office of Student Engagement
- Meal Plans / Dining
- Department of Campus Safety
- Student Technology FAQs
Additional Campus Resources/Information
- Important Offices and Resources
- McDaniel 1Card
- Student Health Insurance Plan & Waiver Process
- HIPAA NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
- 2014 McDaniel College Medical Health Form (required of all students).
- 2014 McDaniel College Medical Health Form (For Student Athletes).
- Tuition Management Systems (payment plans)
First Year Resident Students & Parking
McDaniel College will offer limited parking to first year students through a lottery system. An email with information will be sent to all first year students in mid-June with information on how to enroll in the lottery for the 100 permits available.
Questions? Please contact:
Michael N. Webster, CPP
Director, Department of Campus Safety
Adjunct Lecturer, Sociology Department
2 College Hill
Westminster, MD 21157