First Year Transfer Student Checklist
A printable version of the new student checklist is available here!
Step 1 – You Have Made your Deposit to Attend McDaniel, What’s Next?
- Read the “Welcome” Email you will receive from Admissions (IMMEDIATELY)
- This email will come to your personal email account (the one you used when applying). In this email, you will be given directions on how to log into the admissions website and access your McDaniel username and ID.
- Activate your Account (IMMEDIATELY)
- If you have not already activated your McDaniel account to review your Financial Aid awards, please watch this video on how to activate your McDaniel account. Then you can start the activation process here.
- Once your account is activated, read your McDaniel email and read it regularly as you move forward. The College will use it for all communication. Access your email by logging in to the portal and clicking on the Quick Link to Email.
Step 2 – Begin Your McDaniel Story!
- Join the Transfer Student Facebook group (ASAP) so you can ask questions, meet other students and get to know the McDaniel staff, students and faculty! Click here to request to join.
- If you are planning on living on campus for Fall, 2016, please contact Michael Robbins at 410-857-2240 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you believe you will need any special housing accommodations, find more information here.
- Complete Information Technology Related Items (DUE ASAP)
- Connect with Financial Aid Office and Get the Ball Rolling! (DUE ASAP)
- Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions about paperwork, processes, etc. at 410-857-2233.
- Connect with our Student Academic Support Services (SASS) Office (DUE ASAP)! If you are a student with a documented disability, please complete the Student Academic Support Services (SASS) registration form ASAP.
- Make an appointment with your doctor to get a physical! You will need to turn in an updated health form to the College by July 15! Health Form for all students -OR- Health Form for Student Athletes. Please Call the Wellness Center with questions at 410-857-2243.
Step 3 – The Nitty Gritty – Getting Ready for Classes, Advising and Registration!
- Contact the First Stop Office to declare your intended major at McDaniel. First Stop can be reached at 410-857-2790 or email@example.com.
- Review the McDaniel Plan which is our general education/integrated studies outline.
- Get in touch with your assigned advisor (once you hear back from the First Stop Office) for advising and permission to register for classes. You can talk with your advisor by email, phone, Skype, or in person – your choice!
- Please make sure your most current transfer transcript(s) have also been sent to McDaniel College for review and posting to your record (2 College Hill, Westminster, MD 21157)
- Take Any Required Placement Exams (Your Advisor will Let you know if you have to take any exams)
- Log into BlackBoard and complete the following placement exams
- English - REQUIRED
- Math - placement exam strongly encouraged to prepare you to take classes in math, science, computer science, business classes and other disciplines
- Second Language – REQUIRED
- Spanish, German or French — test is online in Blackboard
- If you need to take a placement exam in ASL, Chinese, Latin, or Arabic, please email your request to the First Year Team.
- When your results become available, you can find the course placement results under "Test Summary" in Archway. Once you have located those placement courses, click here to find out what your scores mean.
- Want to brush up on your skills before you take the Math placement exam? Click here for practice tests in Arithmetic and Algebra, or visit purplemath.com (see "Preliminary Topics" and "Beginning Algebra Topics").
- Log into BlackBoard and complete the following placement exams
- Complete the Transfer Student Seminar (TSS) Rating Form
- Complete the rating/preference form for your Transfer Student Seminar (TSS) class this Fall! TSS is a great 2-credit class that connects you, as a new transfer, to the College, its resources and other transfer students! Please click here to submit your rating form.
- Register for Classes (Registration for New Transfers Opens MONDAY, 6/27)
- After getting permission from your advisor, go ONLINE into the Archway and register for your classes. An important reminder that ALL students must register for at least 12 credits to be considered full-time status. Waitlists do NOT count toward the credit count.
- REMINDER: Classes can be added, dropped, and changed through the first week of classes in August. You have time to make changes if desired!
- Reach out to and get to know your Peer Mentor!
- Each student will have multiple Transfer Peer Mentors! You will receive emails from the Transfer Peer Mentors throughout the summer so watch your McDaniel email. If you are an honors or international student, you will have an additional Peer Mentor.
Step 4 - Prepare to be here!
- Take a look at the overview for move in day (Wed, August 24) and orientation. Please review the orientation schedule carefully for events that are mandatory/required for all students. Please make travel and work arrangements ahead of time so that you may attend mandatory events.
- DUE JULY 15: Complete the Emergency Contact & FERPA Information online. Call the Registrar’s Office with any questions at 410-857-2755.
- DUE JULY 15: Submit the health form to the Wellness Center! You will need to turn in an updated health form to the College by July 15! Health Form for all students -OR- Health Form for Student Athletes. Please Call the Wellness Center with questions at 410-857-2243.
- DUE AUGUST 1: Parent/Family Form
- DUE AUGUST 1: Woofound Personality Assessment for career guidance - Complete your career and personality assessment!
- Make a plan to visit "First Stop" this summer or when you arrive – the first year experience office for all your first year needs. Hoover Library – 2nd floor - 410-857-2790.
- Visit the Bookstore to buy McDaniel Swag and books for your classes
- Review the dining plan/mealplan so you know how it works when you arrive!
- WED AUGUST 24: Arrive on Wednesday, August 24 to move in (if a resident)
- WED AUGUST 24: The first orientation event for transfers is at 12pm, Wednesday, August 24 - Check in and Welcome Lunch!
- AUGUST 24 - 28: The bulk of orientation will occur Wednesday, August 24- Friday, August 26. Events will also be happening on Saturday (8/27) and Sunday (8/28). Watch this checklist for more detailed orientation information coming in July!
- MON AUGUST 29: Classes begin on Monday, August 29.