New Student Orientation 2015
The New Student Orientation events assist you in the transition to McDaniel, both academically and socially. There is time to get settled in your hall, get to know classmates, meet professors, and figure out where all of your classes actually take place on campus. By Monday you’ll feel like a Green Terror!
FIRST YEAR STUDENTS:
(Note: Transfer student orientation information can be found below!)
Day One: Wednesday, August 19, 2015
8:00 AM to 11:00 AM – First Year Student Resident Check-In in Gill Gymnasium
12:00 PM – Commuter Student Arrival
Day One is an exciting day full of many firsts:
- First meeting with your first year seminar class
- First time the Class of 2019 gathers together at the Introduction Honors Convocation
- First walk through the McDaniel Arch followed by the Ceremonial Candle Lightning and Ringing of the Memorial Bell with President Casey
Note to Families:
Many family members ask how long to stay on the first day of August Orientation. The answer really depends on your student and you. Most families do remain on the campus for a few hours after residential students move in and commuting students attend the 12pm Commuter Student Luncheon. Families are invited to have lunch in the Dining Hall or some have lunch at one of the nearby restaurants. The Introduction Convocation is traditionally attended by families. It is following this ceremony that families say good-bye to their student who then begins participating in the New Student Orientation Program with his/her classmates.
If your student is a member of a fall sports team, you are invited to return to the campus for the first day of New Student Orientation to attend the scheduled sessions for families and students. We encourage first year athletes to talk with their families about what they would like to do for the first day of New Student Orientation.
Days Two and Three: Thursday and Friday, August 20 - 21, 2015
- Green Terror Tea Party
- Introduction to the Office for Experience and Opportunity (CEO)
- First Year Seminar class meeting
- Individual advising appointments
- Play Fair – great chance to meet classmates!
- Late Night Target Shopping
- “Avengers II” Movie Night
Days Four and Five: Saturday and Sunday, August 22-23, 2013
- Community service projects in the Westminster area
- Shopping Shuttle to local stores
- Fitness Assessments
- Hypnotist Event
- Bingo for Books!
- Resting up for Monday classes
Day One: Friday, August 21, 2015
8:30AM-4:30PM – Transfer Student Resident Check In in the Office of Residence Life – Decker College Center (410-857-2240)
Day One: Friday, August 21, 2015
- Move into the residence halls
- Get your student ID
- Get to know the Transfer Peer Mentors
- Visit the bookstore
- Meet the Transfer Peer Mentors at 6pm in Ensor Lounge for a fun event/evening!
Day Two: Saturday, August 22, 2015
- Check in for Transfer student Orientation!
- 9:30am – Forum – Ground Level of Decker College Center
- 10am-11:45: Orientation sessions and get to know the Office of Student Engagement, Wellness Center and Academic Affairs!
- 11:45-1: Welcome Luncheon for all New Transfers!
- 1:00: Ceremonial Bell-Ringing in Red Square
- 1:30: The first meeting of your Transfer Student Seminar Class!
Day Three: Sunday, August 23, 2015
- Attend events around campus going on for new student orientation!
- Connect with Transfer Peer Mentors with questions you have
- Rest up for classes starting on Monday