What do my scores mean?
Reminder 1: all placement exams should be taken on Blackboard and need to be completed by 5/31/13.
Reminder 2: advising cannot take place without the completion of these exams.
- When a first-year student takes the English placement exam, the essay is reviewed by the English department.
- If you submitted the exam correctly on the Blackboard site you will see a grade of “0” in the blackboard gradebook. This does not mean you earned a “0”. It means the exam has been received and it is being reviewed for your placement.
- After review the student is placed in one of two courses: ENG 1002 or ENG 1101. See the English Placement Infographic for more information.
- Your English placement results will be posted in the Archway for you and your advisor to see when you log into Archway (look under “test summary”).
- If you place in English 1002, it MUST be taken in the Fall 2013 semester. It is only offered one time per year.
- • If you are placed into ENG 1101 you can take it in the Fall of 2013 OR the Spring of 2014. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH 1101 SECTIONS FOR ALL FIRST YEAR STUDENTS TO ENROLL IN ENG 1101 IN FALL 2013. It is evenly split between Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 to accommodate the whole first year class
- When a first-year student takes the Math placement exam and submits online in blackboard, the grade is received and posted in the gradebook online.
- Students are required to take parts 1, 2, and 3. Part 4(Calc) is optional.
- The raw scores for each of the parts of the math placement exam will be posted in the gradebook in Blackboard and also in the Archway for you and your advisor to see when you log in (look under “test summary”).
- Please see the Math Placement Infographic to see what your scores mean in terms of placement and courses you then qualify to take.
- If you are unhappy with your score, you can retake the exam online in blackboard July 2013 OR retake the math exam during orientation in August. You may only retake it once before the start of the fall semester, so choose which time you would like to retake the exam.
- You should take the language exam in the language you studied in high school, even if starting a new language at McDaniel.
- When a first-year student takes the language placement exam and submits online in blackboard the grade is received and posted in the gradebook online.
- The raw scores for each of the parts of the language placement exam will be posted in the gradebook in Blackboard and also in the Archway for you and your advisor to see when you log in (look under “test summary”).
- There is follow up testing during orientation for students who place above the 2211 level for any language. This advanced testing is required and MAY CHANGE YOUR ULTIMATE PLACEMENT IN A COURSE.
- Please refer to the chart below for the course you will be placed in based on your exam score.
|FRE 1101||00 – 20|
|FRE 1103||21 – 34|
|FRE 2100 or 2200-level courses||35 – 42|
|FRE 2500 to 2900-level courses||43 – 52 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|FRE 3000-level courses||53 – (=SL Fulfilled)|
|GER 1101||00 – 25|
|GER 1102||26 – 50|
|GER 2211||51 – 65|
|GER 2221||66 – 80 (=SL Fulfilled)|
|GER 3000-level courses||81 – (=SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 1101||00 – 29|
|SPA 1102||30 – 39|
|SPA 2211||40 – 49|
|SPA 2212||50 – 54 (=SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 2230 (Fall or Spring)||55 – 59 (=SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 3303/3309||60 – (=SL Fulfilled)|