What do my scores mean?
Reminder 1: All placement exams should be taken on Blackboard.
Reminder 2: Placement exam results are very important so your advisor can advise you appropriately.
- When a first-year student takes the English placement exam, the essay is reviewed by the English department.
- After review the student is placed in one of two courses: ENG 1002 or ENG 1101.
- Your English placement results will be posted in the Archway for you and your advisor to see when you log into Archway (look under “test summary”).
- If you place in English 1002, it MUST be taken in the Fall semester. It is only offered one time per year.
- If you are placed into ENG 1101 you can take it in the Fall OR the Spring.
- The Mathematics and Computer Science Department strongly encourages all students to take the Mathematics Placement Tests to allow the student the widest array of opportunities in their schedule, in both mathematics and additional disciplines. To view placement results, log into the Archway, go to “Student Menu” and click on “Test Summary” to review your math course placement.
- Additional opportunities for taking the Placement Tests will occur in August and October. As an alternative to re-taking the Tests, students who might benefit from more structured skill-building in mathematics may choose to register for the non-credit courses MAT 1001 (arithmetic) and/or MAT 1002 (algebra). Successful completion of either of these courses achieves the corresponding mathematics placement. Alternative methods for mathematics placement, including a portfolio review, are available by request. Please contact the Chair of the Math department for more information (Dr. Hamblen: email@example.com).
- Click the chart below to find out what your scores mean.
- You should take the language exam in the language you studied in high school, even if starting a new language at McDaniel.
- When a student takes the language placement exam and submits online in blackboard the grade is received and posted in the gradebook online.
- The raw scores for each of the parts of the language placement exam will be posted in the gradebook in Blackboard and also in the Archway for you and your advisor to see when you log in (look under “test summary”).
- There is follow up testing for students who place at or above the 2211 level for any language. This advanced testing is required and MAY CHANGE YOUR ULTIMATE PLACEMENT IN A COURSE.
- Please refer to the chart below for the course you will be placed in based on your exam score. (REV 4/15/2015)
|FRE 1101||00 – 22|
|FRE 1103||23 – 36|
|FRE 2100 or 2200-level courses||37 – 45 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|FRE 2500 to 2900-level courses||46 – 54 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|FRE 3000-level courses||55 – (= SL Fulfilled)|
|GER 1101||00 – 29|
|GER 1102||30 – 50|
|GER 2211||51 – 60 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|GER 2212/2221||61 – 80 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|GER 3000-level course||81 – 100 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 1101||00 – 29|
|SPA 1102||30 – 39|
|SPA 2211||40 – 49 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 2212||50 – 59 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 2230||60 – 69 (= SL Fulfilled)|
|SPA 3303/3309||70 – (= SL Fulfilled)|