Summer Financial Aid Policy For Undergraduate Students
Financial aid is awarded for the summer semester in late-May. There are a few things to keep in mind regarding your financial aid during the summer term:
- Summer term aid requires a 2017-2018 FAFSA application.
- Students must have a completed financial aid file.
- Students must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program and be registered for the summer semester.
- Students must be meeting satisfactory academic progress guidelines for Federal Student Aid.
- Types of aid available for the summer semester:
- Federal Pell Grant - Students who qualify to receive a Federal Pell Grant for the 2017-2018 academic year will receive a portion of their grant from the Spring 2018 semester to cover a summer class.
- Federal Direct Loan - Students enrolled for at least 6 credits are eligible to use their annual loan eligibility to cover some of the summer expenses.
- Federal Teach Grant - This federal grant requires a separate application available on the My McDaniel Portal.
- Alternative loans - Offered through banks, credit unions or other lending institutions to cover educational expenses.
- Complete a Summer Aid Request form (if you are seeking a Federal Direct Loan only) and return to the Financial Aid Office.
- After we process your Request Form, we will send a notification (via email if you consented to emails from our office or by mail if you did not consent to electronic communication) that your aid for the entire 2017-2018 award year (for students whose anticipated graduation date is beyond December 2017) is posted on Financial Aid Self-Service.
Loan Activation Process:
- If you did not previously borrow a Federal Direct Loan, you must complete loan paperwork (Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling) at studentloans.gov within 10 days after you have been awarded summer aid.
- We will send you a notification once your loan funds are credited to your Student account.
- If you have a credit on your account after your invoice has been paid in full, the Bursar’s Office will process your refund. The refund will be mailed to you within 14 business days from the date the funds were applied to your account.
Please feel free to contact our office at 410.857.2233 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.