Dr. Wendy Morris
As a social psychologist, I study many factors which affect how we perceive and behave toward other people and how our self-perceptions are shaped by our social environment. My two main research interests include stereotyping and discrimination based on romantic relationship status as well as lie detection and lying within friendships. In research collaborations with medical doctors, I have also studied patients’ emotional reactions to stigmatizing health conditions.
In my research lab, I have advised student-driven projects on various social psychological topics including stereotype threat and gender differences in negotiation, perceptions of gay men and lesbians, coaches’ perceptions of eating disorders in college athletes, the social contagion of laughter, and the effects of punk music on nonconformist behavior.
- Social Psychology
- Psychology of Gender
- Psychological Methods and Statistics II
- Psychology and the Law (First Year Seminar)
- Stereotyping and Stigma (Senior Capstone)
- Writing in Psychology: Romantic Relationships
- Living in the Margins: The Production, Perpetuation, and Experience of Stereotypes and Discrimination (Sophomore Interdisciplinary Studies)
- Introduction to Research Methodology (Graduate-level course)
Selected Conference Presentations
* Denotes McDaniel College Student Author
- Michaels*, S. C., & Morris, W. L. (2015). The impact of friendship on lie detection and emotion recognition. To be presented at the annual convention for the Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY.
- Morris, W. L., Sternglanz, R. W., Ansfield, M. E., Anderson, D. E., DePaulo, B. M., & Snyder*, J. (2013). The development of deception detection ability: How do close friends improve at detecting each other’s deception over time? Poster presented at the annual meeting for the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, New Orleans, LA.
- Slonim, G., Morris, W. L., & Kemp*, B. K. (2012). How does sexual orientation affect stereotypes of singles? Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL.
- Kemp*, B. K., & Morris, W. L. (2011). Do you take this marriage?: Perceived choice over marital status affects stereotypes of single and married people. Poster presented at the annual meeting for the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, San Antonio, TX.
- Bolek*, M. T., & Morris, W. L. (2009). Coaches’ Perceptions of Eating Disorders in Athletes: Under Diagnosing the Atypical. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, San Francisco, CA.
- Pastore, L. M., Patrie, J. T., Dalal, P., Morris, W. L., & Bray, M. J. (2009). Identifying Depression Among PCOS Women Based on Body Image and Androgens. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Androgen Excess and PCOS Society, Washington, DC.
- Morris, W. L. (2008). Stereotypes and Discrimination Against Single Adults. Talk given at the annual Psychology Synergy Conference, Westminster, MD.
- Phillips*, C. J., Hoffman*, J. L., & Morris, W. L. (2007). Improving lie detection accuracy through indirect Cues. Poster presented at “Posters on Capitol Hill” sponsored by the Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, DC.
- Hoffman*, J. L., Phillips*, C. J., & Morris, W. L. (2007). Improving lie detection by paying attention to our internal barometers. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Washington, DC.
- Pastore, L. M., Morris, W. L., Karns, L., Williams, C. D., & Silverman, L. M. (2006). Emotional Reaction to Fragile X Carrier Testing Among Infertile Women. Talk given at the International Fragile X Conference, Atlanta, GA.
* Denotes Undergraduate Student Author
- McCormick*, J., & Morris, W. L. (2015). Effects of stereotype threat and power on women's and men's outcomes in face-to-face and e-mail negotiations. Psi Chi Journal of Psychology Research, 20, 114-124.
- Sanoff, H. K., Morris, W. L., Mitcheltree*, A., Wilson*, S., & Lund, J. L. (2015). Lack of support and information regarding long-term negative effects in survivors of rectal cancer. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 19, 444-448.
- Klein, R.A., Ratliff, K.A., Vianello, M., Adams, R.B.J., Bahník, S., Bernstein, M.J., Bocian, K., Brandt, M.J., Brooks, B., Brumbaugh, C.C., Cemalcilar, Z., Chandler, J., Cheong, W, Davis, W.E., Devos, T., Eisner, M., Frankowska, N., Furrow, D., Galliani, E.M., Hasselman, F., Hicks, J.A., Hovermale, J.F., Hunt, S.J., Huntsinger, J.R., IJzerman, H., John, M., Joy-Gaba, J.A., Kappes, H.B., Krueger, L.E., Kurtz, J., Levitan, C.A., Mallett, R.K., Morris, W.L., Nelson, A.J., Nier, J.A., Packard, G., Pilati, R., Rutchick, A.M., Schmidt, K., Skorinko, J.L., Smith, R., Steiner, T.G., Storbeck, J., Van Swol, L.M., Thompson, D., van’t Veer, A.E., Vaughn, L.A., Vranka, M., Wichman, A.L., Woodzicka, J.A. and Nosek, B.A. (2014). Investigating Variation in Replicability: A “Many Labs” Replication Project. Social Psychology, 45, 142-152.
- Sternglanz, R. W., & Morris, W. L. (2014). Deception in friendships. In T. R. Levine (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Deception (pp. 806-809). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage publications.
- Sternglanz, R. W., Morris, W. L., & Makiyil*, J. (2014). The research of Bella DePaulo. In T. R. Levine (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Deception (pp. 284-286). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage publications.
- Pastore, L., Patrie, J., Morris, W. L., Dalal, P., & Bray. M. (2011). Depression Symptoms and Body Satisfaction Association Among Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Women. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 71, 270-276.
- DePaulo, B. M., Morris, W. L., & Sternglanz, R. W. (2009). When the truth hurts: Deception in the name of kindness. In A. L. Vangelisti (Ed.), Feeling hurt in close relationships (pp. 167-190). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Morris, W. L., & DePaulo, B. M. (2009). Singlehood.In H. T. Reis &S. K. Sprecher(Eds.), Encyclopedia of Human Relationships (pp. 1504-1507).Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Morris, W. L., DePaulo, B. M., Hertel, J., & Taylor*, L. C. (2008). Singlism - Another problem that has no name: Prejudice, stereotypes,and discrimination against singles. In T. G. Morrison &M. A. Morrison (Eds.), The Psychology of Modern Prejudice (pp. 165-194). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Paull*, E. J., & Morris, W. L. (2008). Stereotyping and nonconformity: The effects of punk music on social behavior. Psi Chi Journal of Psychological Research, 13, 173-183.
- Pastore, L. M., Morris, W. L., & Karns, L. B. (2008). Emotional reaction to Fragile X premutation carrier tests among infertile women. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 17, 84-91.
- Morris, W. L., Sinclair, S., & DePaulo, B. M. (2007). No shelter for singles: The perceived legitimacy of civil status discrimination. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 10, 457-470.
- Hertel, J., Shutz, A., DePaulo, B. M., Morris, W. L., & Stucke, T. S. (2007). She’s single, so what? How are singles perceived compared with people who are married? Journal of Family Research, 19, 139-158.
- DePaulo, B. M., & Morris, W. L. (2006). The unrecognized stereotyping and discrimination against singles. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 15, 251-254.
- DePaulo, B. M., & Morris, W. L. (2005). Singles in society and in science. Psychological Inquiry, 16, 57-83.
- DePaulo, B. M., & Morris, W. L. (2005). Should singles and the scholars who study them make their mark or stay in their place? Psychological Inquiry, 16, 142-149.
- DePaulo, B. M., & Morris, W. L. (2004). Discerning lies from truths: Behavioral cues to deception and the indirect pathway of intuition. In P. A. Granhag & L. Stromwoll (Eds.), Deception Detection in Forensic Contexts (pp. 15-40). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.