Commencement Ceremony Information
- Who: McDaniel College Classes of 2020 & 2021
- When: May 22, 2021, 10:00 am (Class of 2020) and 2:00 pm (Class of 2021)
- Where: Kenneth R. Gill Stadium*
- *Rain Location: Robert Joshua Gill Center.
- The commencement ceremonies will be livestreamed, rain or shine, so family and friends can participate from a distance.
- CLASS OF 2020:
- The campus will open at 7:30 a.m. on May 22, to allow students and families ample opportunity to take personal photos prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Additionally, class of 2020 graduates are invited to ring the Old Main bell starting at 8 a.m. Please note: Class of 2020 graduates will not have the opportunity to ring the bell after the ceremony, due to time constraints with the afternoon ceremony. All undergraduate and master’s candidates for the morning ceremony should check in at the tent near the soccer field by 9:00 a.m.
- CLASS OF 2021:
- Guests and students are asked to arrive no earlier than 12:30 p.m. to allow for the morning ceremony guest and graduates to clear the facilities and parking lots. All undergraduate and master’s candidates for the afternoon ceremony should check in at the tent near the soccer field by 1:00 p.m.
- Graduates and their families and friends are encouraged to leave ample time to arrive and park. Traffic entering campus by the Main entrance near the stadium at W. Main Street will be one way only entering campus. Campus Safety personnel will direct traffic throughout campus. Handicap parking will be directed into the stadium. Vehicles should display the appropriate handicap hang tag or license plate. Please communicate with traffic control personnel to ensure you are directed to the appropriate area.
- WALKING DISTANCE:
- Handicap parking will still require a 300-yard walk to the stadium concourse to enter the Commencement ceremony. Other areas of campus will require a quarter mile or greater walk to the stadium concourse to enter the Commencement ceremony.
- SHUTTLE OPTIONS:
- Multi-passenger golf carts and shuttle vans will be available to escort those that may have mobility issues. Shuttle stops will be clearly labeled in each parking lot. Golf carts will also be available for those directed to handicap parking.
- PHOTOGRAPHS OF GRADUATES:
- Photos of graduates will be taken this year immediately after the student leaves the stage area. Classic Photography & Imaging will be the photographer for the event and will make proofs of photos available for purchase following the event on their website: www.classic-photo.com, by the first week in June, and mailed to graduates during the second week of June.
- AFTER THE CEREMONY:
- MORNING: Morning ceremony guest will be asked to exit campus by 12:00 so that we are able to transition our facility and parking areas for the afternoon ceremony.
- AFTERNOON: Residence Halls will close at 8:00 p.m. Staff will be at multiple locations to collect keys.
- PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES:
- Specific seating and check-in areas will be reserved for those with physical disabilities and the Commencement exercises will be sign interpreted. To request special accommodations, please visit bit.ly/accommodations-request. All requests must be received by Friday, May 7.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER:
- Though we are excited by the prospect of outdoor ceremonies, we also must acknowledge that weather is a significant unknown. We intend to confirm our outdoor location no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19. At that time, if the weather appears to be problematic, we will move the ceremony indoors to the Robert Joshua Gill Center.
- Unfortunately, should this be the case, the ceremony will be for graduates only and guests will not be able to attend in-person. We will be live-streaming the ceremonies rain or shine, so family and friends can participate from a distance.
- LIVE STREAMING:
- The commencement ceremonies will be livestreamed, rain or shine, so family and friends can participate from a distance. Go to www.mcdaniel.edu/commencement the day of commencement to access the livestream.