McDaniel College is primarily a residential college with a majority of its undergraduate students living on campus; therefore, it is the intention of the College to remain open during inclement weather conditions. Should the weather create hazardous conditions, the College may modify the normal operating schedule. As always, our primary consideration is the safety of our campus community.
Snow Removal Plan
McDaniel College uses a tiered snow removal plan. Below are the color-coded campus maps with an explanation of how pathways will be cleared.
- RED (view map here): These pathways identified in red will be cleared first. The College will endeavor to keep them free from snow at all times.
- GREEN (view map here): The second group of pathways is identified in green. When school is open, both red and green thoroughfares will be cleared.
- YELLOW (view map here): These are the lowest priority pathways. Once inclement weather has passed, these paths will be cleared.
Closing and Delayed Opening Information
If conditions warrant closing the College or delaying its opening, an official announcement of the decision will be:
These are the official sources of information regarding any changes to the operating status of the College. The announcement will include the status of operations (modified schedule or closed) and the tiered snow removal plan in effect.
Although media outlets in Carroll County/Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and South Central Pennsylvania are notified of McDaniel’s campus status, do not depend on the news media for complete, accurate, up-to-date information.
[Note: The McDaniel Alert system will NOT be used to report on routine campus closures or late openings due to inclement weather. That system is used only to notify of imminent danger or a life-threatening campus emergency. To sign up for McDaniel Alert, visit the MyMcDaniel Portal and click on “Campus Safety” under “Student Resources.”]
Timeframe for Announcements
For an overnight weather-related event, the announcement will be made by 6 a.m. An announcement regarding evening graduate classes on McDaniel's main campus will be made by 2 p.m.; announcements regarding Saturday classes will be made by 7 a.m. Off-campus graduate classes will not be held if the county school system where the class is held closes school due to inclement weather; off-campus graduate classes that meet on the weekend follow procedures outlined in the class syllabus.
What the announcements mean:
- McDaniel College is closed.
– All face-to-face classes (day and evening, undergraduate and graduate) and all events are canceled unless specified. Online classes will proceed as normal.
– Off-campus graduate courses always follow the home school's system announcement. If your home school district is open, then McDaniel graduate classes held in your district will meet, regardless of conditions at the Westminster campus.
– Administrative offices will be closed with only essential employees reporting as required. (Employees should view additional information below.)
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services are operational. Medical emergencies should be directed to the Department of Campus Safety Hoover Library is closed.
- McDaniel College is opening at 10 a.m.
– Administrative offices will open at 10 a.m., unless otherwise noted. Essential employees should report as required, non-essential full time employees should report at 10 a.m., and non-essential part time employees should report as requested by their supervisor. (Employees should view additional information below.)
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services, and Health Services will be operational before 10 a.m., although perhaps on a limited basis. Hoover Library will open at 10 a.m.
– JanTerm, online classes will proceed as normal. JanTerm face-to-face classes scheduled prior to 10 a.m. will be canceled.
– Below, you will find a modified class schedule for the fall and spring semesters that meet face to face:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Classes
||1:20-4:00 pm labs/seminars
||1:20-4:00 pm labs/seminars
Tuesday and Thursday Classes
||12:20-1:20 pm meeting period
||1:30-4:00 pm labs/seminars
- McDaniel College is opening at noon.
– In the event that the College does not open until noon, all face-to-face classes with a normal start time prior to noon will be canceled; classes with a start time after noon will run as normally scheduled. Online classes will proceed as normal.
– Administrative offices will open at 12 p.m., unless otherwise noted. Essential employees should report as required, non-essential full time employees should report at 12p.m., and non-essential part time employees should report as requested by their supervisor.
- Graduate classes are canceled.
– All graduate classes are canceled, but undergraduate classes will be held unless specified as “All EVENING classes canceled.”
– Administrative offices will close at 4:30p.m., unless otherwise noted. Only essential employees should report as required.
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services, and Health Services will be operational, although perhaps on a limited basis. Hoover Library may open for limited hours (check times by calling extension 2281 or 2282).
- McDaniel College is closing at (12 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m., etc.)
– All face-to-face classes and all events scheduled after the closing are canceled. Online classes will proceed as normal.
– Administrative offices will close at the time announced and only essential employees will remain as required. (Employees should view additional information below.)
– Food Service, Campus Safety, Building Services are operational. Medical emergencies should be directed to the Department of Campus Safety Hoover Library is closed Hoover Library is closed.
Additional Information for Staff
When the College modifies the normal operating schedule, staff employees will be designated as essential or non-essential.
Essential Personnel: Staff designated as “Essential Personnel” by their job description are required to report to work as scheduled and/or as notified during inclement weather conditions. In the event of a large storm, essential personnel may be required to stay overnight on campus to ensure adequate staffing coverage. Please see the Staff Handbook for more information related to rate of pay during this time.
Non-Essential Personnel: Staff designated as “non-essential personnel” by their job description are not required to physically report to work when the College modifies the normal operating schedule. However, there may be instances in which an exempt staff member may be asked by his or her supervisor to work remotely if the responsibilities are unable to be shifted to another day. When the normal operating schedule is modified because of inclement weather, non-essential employees will be paid for their regularly scheduled shift for that day at the regular base rate of pay.
In the event there are hazardous travel conditions and the College remains open, employees in non-essential positions may elect to use liberal leave or work remotely, with supervisor approval. When in doubt, the employee should place safety first.
Options for Liberal Leave:
- Using Available Vacation Time: Staff may elect to use available vacation time to account for the time missed.
- Flexing Schedules: Staff may choose to make up the missed time on a different day. For staff members that are non-exempt and hourly, the hours must be made up within the same work week in which the liberal leave was used.
- Using Unpaid Leave: Should the staff member not have any available vacation time and not be able to flex his or her schedule, the staff member may use this time as leave without pay.
Faculty will follow the class schedule as indicated by the announcements.
Official Sources for Inclement Weather Information
Again, the official sources for inclement weather information are the McDaniel.edu website, an email announcement to the campus community, the official McDaniel College Facebook page, and on Twitter @McDanielCollege.