April 06, 2017
McDaniel Provost Julia Jasken and 36 students were inducted into the Delta of Maryland Chapter of the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa national honor society.
Jasken, who was named chief academic officer and dean of the faculty in 2016, was inducted as an honorary member in recognition of her devotion to the liberal arts. A proponent of campus-community partnerships, particularly related to community engagement efforts, she received the Maryland-D.C. Campus Compact Statewide Faculty Award for Outstanding Service-Learning in 2012.
McDaniel Provost Julia Jasken, President Roger Casey and Senior Lecturer Michele Gribben
She began at the College in 2003 as a faculty member in the English department. Jasken has specialized in new media pedagogy and has taught a variety of professional writing courses. She developed, and then served as director of, the Center for Experience and Opportunity (CEO), the College’s one-stop shop for experiential education and career development for McDaniel students and alumni.
A native of Moorhead, Minn., Jasken earned a bachelor’s degree from the College of Saint Benedict in St. Joseph, Minn., and a master’s degree from Northern Illinois University. She received her Ph.D. from Michigan Technological University.
Founded in 1776, The Phi Beta Kappa Society is the nation’s oldest academic honor society. It has chapters at 283 colleges and universities in the United States and more than half a million members throughout the country. Visit www.pbk.org.
- Christian Alberg of Mount Pleasant, S.C.
- Brian Austin of Turlock, Calif.
- John Henry Bussey of Petaluma, Calif.
- Jaime Calderon of Falls Church, Va.
- Charity-Grace Chaney of New Windsor, Md.
- Megan Davis of Elkridge, Md.
- Haley Duff of Clarksburg, Md.
- Aisha Ghodbane of Olivette, Mo.
- Corey Glocker of Silver Spring, Md.
- Melissa Golowski of Littlestown, Pa.
- Chloe Gudmundsson of Dundalk, Md.
- Madelyn Jackstadt of Barnegat, N.J.
- Haley Jacobs of Forest Hill, Md.
- Katie Keegan of Hadley, Mass.
- Sydney Knadler of Mammoth Lakes, Calif.
- Casey Marson of Norwich, N.Y.
- Sarah McRoberts of Damascus, Md.
- Matthew Meyers of Millersville, Md.
- Thomas Milnes of Eldersburg, Md.
- Madaline Moyer of Brookville, Md.
- Juliann Rossi of Marriottsville, Md.
- Blake Schildhauer of Hampstead, Md.
- Jennifer Shillingburg of Oakland, Md.
- Kathryn Shoemaker of Walkersville, Md.
- Cristina Stockton-Juarez of Carlisle, Pa.
- Andrew Ullmann, senior from Toms River, N.J.
- Lissy Velez, senior from Silver Spring, Md.
- Catherine Wroblewski, senior from Glen Mills, Pa.
- Samantha Yates, senior from Shepherdstown, W.Va.
December 2016 graduates
- Emily Connell of Towson, Md.
- Nia Gipson of Owings Mills, Md.
- Rebecca Debinski, junior from Sykesville, Md.
- Tusannah Krauss, junior from Manchester, Md.
- Jason Swartz, junior from Dillsburg, Pa.
- Phuc Truong, junior from San Jose, Calif.
- Kristen Upton, junior from Chalfont, Pa.