IMLS Scholarship Project (Anticipated start: Summer 2016)
The McDaniel College School Librarianship program, seeks 12 Maryland teachers or professionals currently working as uncertified school librarians to apply for full tuition scholarships in the M.S. in School Librarianship program. This scholarship is funded through a generous grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Who should apply for the scholarship?
The project seeks applicants from underserved populations in the counties of Allegany, Baltimore City, Cecil, Dorchester, Garret, Kent, Prince George's, Queen Anne's, Somerset, St. Mary's, Talbot, Washington and Wicomico or from low-income, high needs schools. Those who work in a low-income, high-needs school in a county outside of those listed above will need to provide official documentation about your school.
While the project seeks applicants from underrepresented racial, ethnic, and male gender, candidates of all backgrounds may still be considered.
For the duration of the three-year scholarship program, the 12 recipients receive full tuition for all courses in the Master's degree program and also registration and travel to the MASL/SET conferences. Additionally, the 12 recipients receive registration and travel to the Common Ground Conference (CEASOM partner organizations include the Maryland Association of School Libraries (MASL) and the Maryland Society for Educational Technology (MSET) among others. Recipients are responsible for textbooks.
The coursework will be entirely online and projected to begin June 2016. The online courses are 8 weeks long. Recipients will be expected to take 2 courses, back to back in the fall and spring semesters and 1-2 courses over the summer.
- Pay the $75.00 graduate application fee.
- Complete and submit the online application and clearly indicate that you are applying for the IMLS Scholarship Program. Identify your race, gender, ethnic background, and county where you are employed.
- Submit official undergraduate college transcripts verifying a completed bachelor's degree and a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Submit a copy of your passing Praxis score.
- Provide three references on the official form- these should be from the school library supervisor, principal and another administrator. Personal letters written on the back of the reference forms from these references addressing teaching ability and potential for leadership and collaboration are highly encouraged. The references themselves should submit these forms by scanning and e-mailing email@example.com, faxing to 410-857-2515 (attn: IMLS Project) or mailing them to Graduate and Professional Studies at McDaniel, Graduate Admissions, 2 College Hill, Westminster, MD 21157.
- Submit and essay of 500-1,000 words detailing why you want this scholarship, identifying your strengths, showing that you've explored the profession by speaking with school librarians and by examining the ALA website, highlighting ways that you will contribute to our profession at the local, state and national level.
- Provide an Internet map indicating the miles between your school address and McDaniel College at 2 College Hill, Westminster, MD 21157, verifying your geographical distance from the College.
- Review the sample contract
Applicants will be evaluated and ranked on the basis of the above materials.