Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statements
McDaniel College's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
We are a community dedicated to excellence in the liberal arts, and as such, we welcome the contributions of divergent perspectives and experiences that strengthen the educational experience. Our community is fully committed to breaking down the walls of division, rejecting acts of exclusion, and challenging injustice, prejudice, and ethnocentrism. We seek to promote the presence and expressions of all groups, including those historically and/or currently marginalized. We recognize that the list is evolving and that creating opportunities for dialogue and mechanisms for actions will create an inclusive, open, and accessible community. Action and accountability lead to creating a better world through social change locally and globally. We strive to cultivate the skills needed to become competent, productive leaders and allies in a pluralistic and diverse world.
In this spirit, we will actively attract, recruit, and retain diverse students, faculty, and staff by dedicating ourselves to
- Confronting issues of privilege and marginalization by asking challenging questions and developing solutions to ensure that underrepresented groups have equal access and opportunities;
- Increasing resources, spaces, and opportunities where all perspectives are valued;
- Incorporating diversity as a core of our curriculum and programming;
- Devoting resources to establish, maintain, and formally assess institutional policies and practices to ensure that we are meeting our diversity, equity, and inclusion goals;
- Exemplifying inclusivity in its various forms including actively partnering with our surrounding communities;
- Ensuring that all community members, including those with seen and unseen differences, have access to all aspects of the McDaniel experience;
- Visibly addressing instances of racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, ableism, audism, ageism, and other forms of prejudice and discrimination;
- Committing to preparing students and community members for the world in which they will live and work beyond college.
approved by the Board of Trustees, August 2020
McDaniel College's Resolution on Black Lives Matter
Be it resolved by the Board of Trustees of McDaniel College that Black lives matter, that our College fully supports equity for and the inclusion of Black lives, and that on campus and in campus publications, our College must support and promote Black Lives Matter as a phrase as part of our anti-racist mission and our First Principles.
resolved by the Board of Trustees, May 2021