McDaniel alumnus and students inducted into Phi Beta Kappa national honor society
On April 11, 24 students were inducted into McDaniel College’s Delta of Maryland Chapter of the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa national honor society. Alumnus Gerald H. Miller ‘63, who previously served as director of Michigan’s largest state agency, the Department of Social Services, was also inducted.
On April 11, 24 students were inducted into McDaniel College’s Delta of Maryland Chapter of the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa national honor society.
Alumnus Gerald H. Miller ‘63, who previously served as director of Michigan’s largest state agency, the Department of Social Services, was also inducted. Upon his retirement, Miller became senior vice president of Welfare Reform Services as a specialist in Health and Human Services. In addition to graduating cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in Economics from McDaniel (formerly Western Maryland) College in 1963, he obtained a master’s degree in Economics in 1965 and a doctorate degree in the same discipline in 1970 from Michigan State University in East Lansing, Mich.
While in graduate school, Miller began his long tenure with the State of Michigan Department of Management and Budget, where he conducted research on tax policy and revenue estimating. After receiving his Ph.D., Miller held a variety of leadership roles including director of the research division, director of the office of intergovernmental relations, and director of management and budget. As the director of management and budget, he served as the state budget director and special advisor on economics and taxation for then-Governor William D. Milliken. He also taught courses in public finance and economics at Michigan State University.
Founded in 1776, The Phi Beta Kappa Society is the nation’s oldest academic honor society. It has chapters at 286 colleges and universities in the United States and more than half a million members throughout the country.
- Among those inducted into Phi Beta Kappa are:
- Nicholas Ashton Bowman of York, Pa.
- Blair Arlene Boyle of Springfield, N.J.
- Joseph James Conklin of Westminster, Md.
- Carly Nicole Critchfield of Grass Lake, Mich.
- Ashley Noel Deal of Littlestown, Pa.
- Kathryn P Dixon of New Bern, N.C.
- Delaney Zaidet Ford of Burtonsville, Md.
- Deirdre Marie Gallagher of Cordova, Md.
- Abbey Elizabeth Gillis of Sykesville, Md.
- Davin Hong of Sykesville, Md.
- Elva Elizabeth Joya of Rockville, Md.
- Sydney Evelyn Kelly of Windsor, Pa.
- Anna Jay Kuhn of Bel Air, Md.
- Stefany Mercedes Martinez of Damascus, Md.
- Julia Marie Murphy of Westminster, Md.
- Priscilla Owusu of Bowie, Md.
- Jose Manuel Pac of Westminster, Md.
- Makayla Ann Patterson of Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Zachary James Ruggerie of York, Pa.
- Jessica Marie Avila of Waldorf, Md.
- Ha Thu Nguyen of Hanoi, Vietnam
- Jonah Warman Ruskin of Kensington, Md.
- Danielle Faith Wendt of Ellicott City, Md.
- Cara Elizabeth Woolston of Baltimore, Md.