2021-2022 Room Selection
Please note: This information is only for returning students. New incoming first year students or transfers for Fall 2021 should be following the communications they receive from Undergraduate Admissions.
Timeline for the 2021-2022 Room Selection process.
$200 HOUSING LOTTERY DEPOSIT IS DUE APRIL 9, 2021
Visit https://mcdaniel.erezlife.com and log in with your McDaniel username and password. This is our housing management system and a place to visit for information and updates.
- On the left menu bar, select Resources
In the Resources area you can find 2021-2022 Room Selection: Prices and Deposit, which includes instructions for paying the deposit. You can either print out the Housing Deposit Form to mail with a check to the Bursar’s Office, or you can log in to your MyMcDaniel portal and pay online. Please contact the Bursar’s Office at email@example.com if you have questions.
- In order to participate in the room selection process and choose a room for next year you must pay the $200 housing deposit by April 9, 2021. Student(s) with whom you plan to live must also pay the deposit by this deadline as well. McDaniel College requires students to live on campus during their first three years as a student unless you are age 25+, commuting from the home of a parent/guardian, or married. Please remember that McDaniel College guarantees housing for the first four years. If you are unable to pay the housing deposit by April 9, a Residence Life Staff Member will contact you over the summer to determine your housing assignment.
- If you are going into a 9th+ semester you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be on the housing waiting list in case vacant spaces are available.
The housing application on the eRezLife site will be live on March 16, 2021.
- Visit https://mcdaniel.erezlife.com and log in with your McDaniel email username (without the @mcdaniel.edu) and password.
- Check the top of the left menu bar for your profile and make sure your fields are filled in and accurate.
- Top left again for Home, and then mid page for apply for housing. Fill out the application for 2021-2022.
MEAL PLAN AND ROOM PRICES
You will be asked about a meal plan selection when you choose your housing. Please think about this in advance and refer to the Resources area of eRezLife where you can find a Room and Board Rates document in the 2021-2022 Room Selection: Prices and Deposit section.
- Please note that students living in locations without a kitchen need to choose a Platinum, Gold, or Silver meal plan.
- Students living in a location with a kitchen may select any meal plan option or opt out of selecting a meal plan.
ROOMMATE GROUP FORMING
Once you have completed your Housing Application and paid the $200 housing deposit by April 9, you are ready to select a roommate(s) if you choose. To select a roommate or roommate group you should do the following:
- Visit https://mcdaniel.erezlife.com and select “Roommate groups” from the left menu.
- Create a new roommate group (feel free to make up a name for your group) and invite your friend(s) to the group. If you are trying to live in a double make sure to invite one additional person so there are two people in the group. This is the same if you want to live in a triple, quad, or apartment.
- Your invited roommates will then need to go into “Roommate groups” and agree to join your group. A student can only be in one group at a time, and everyone must actively agree to select/join the group you create.
- IMPORTANT: While it is possible to create a group with someone that completed their Housing Application but has not paid their room deposit, you will not be able to actually select a room with someone that has not paid the deposit by April 9. Please be in communication with your invited roommate(s) to make sure that everyone has taken care of both steps (application and deposit).
- If you do not have a roommate, please check the Resources area on eRezLife under 2021-2022 Room Selection Process: Roommate Groups and Searching for information on a roommate profile search/match function of the website that you can opt to use.
If you are interested in applying for an apartment for next year, you will need to create a group of 4, 5, or 6 students following the “Roommate Group Forming” instructions explained above.
The creator of the group will also need to complete the Qualtrics form available in the Resources section of eRezLife under the 2021-2022 Room Selection: Apartment Applications section. The names listed on the Qualtrics form and the students in your Roommate Group MUST match and everyone in the group must properly log into eRezLife to agree to join the group you created. Before completing the form, make sure you know the following:
- Who will be living in the single(s) or double(s)?
- Who will be roommates?
- What meal plans are individuals choosing, if any?
The group creator will submit this information on the apartment mates’ behalf.
Apartments are assigned based on the “point total” of the group. Each member that started at McDaniel in Fall 2018 is 3 points, Fall 2019 is 2 points, and Fall 2020 is 1 point. As described in the timeline below, each group is also assigned a random number, but that is only used in the event of a tie in points. Otherwise, the point total takes priority. For examples:
- There is one five bed North Village apartment left and two groups left in the application pile. A five-person group has three Fall 2018 start students (3 points each) and two Fall 2019 start students (2 points each), for a total of 13 points. Another five-person group has two Fall 2018 start students (3 points each), two Fall 2019 start students (2 points each), and a Fall 2020 start student (1 point), for a total of 11 points. The first group would get assigned the apartment.
- Same situation, one five bed North Village apartment left. First group has three Fall 2018 start students (3 points each) and two Fall 2019 start students (2 points each), for a total of 13 points. Another group has four Fall 2018 start students (3 points each) and one Fall 2020 start student (1 point), for a total of 13 points as well. In this case, it would come down to the random number assigned to each group, where numbers closer to “1” are better.
Remember: There is a brochure with information about each apartment type in the Resources area of eRezLife under Upper Class Housing Info.
ROOM SELECTION TIMELINE
All participating students need to submit the deposit by April 9, 2021 and complete the online housing application.
Students who are on Bursar Hold cannot participate in the room selection process.
- Greek Housing, Affinity Housing, and Language House processes are open for applications. The Residence Life Staff will work directly with those groups to manage room assignments and collect meal plan information. Participants in these programs still need to pay the housing deposit and be clear of any Bursar Holds.
- April 9: Deposit deadline
- April 9: Housing applications are also due
- April 14: Residence Life Staff will post a list of students eligible to participate in room selection (application done, deposit paid, no Bursar hold) in the Resources section of https://mcdaniel.erezlife.com and email students when this is available. This list will also have information on which selection group (please see details just below) students will be considered for picking rooms. These groups determine the order in which students will be selecting rooms, or their priority for being a part of a group applying for an apartment. If a student does not appear on the list, they are not eligible to participate in room selection and should contact Residence Life to see if this can be resolved. If you see your name and think you should be counted in a different group, please contact Residence Life at email@example.com to discuss that.
- Fall 2018 start. If you started at McDaniel as a first-year student in Fall 2018 OR if you started at McDaniel as a transfer student and you are currently a Junior by credits, this is your group. This group has the highest priority in the room selection process. For the apartment selection process, each of these students is worth 3 points toward their group total.
- Fall 2019 start. This is for students that started at McDaniel as a first-year student in Fall 2019 OR began as transfer students and are current Sophomores by credit. This group has the next priority, and for the apartment process, each of these students is worth 2 points toward their group total.
- Fall 2020 start. Students that started at McDaniel as a first-year student in Fall 2020 OR began as transfer students and are current First Years by credit will then select. For the apartment process, each of these students is worth 1 point toward their group total.
- April 20, 9am: If you have a group applying for a North Village Apartment, your Roommate Group needs to be formed and your Apartment Application must be complete by 9am on April 20 in order to be considered. At 9am, Residence Life Staff will download the applications and sort the applying groups by point totals and assign each group a random number. These random numbers are utilized if there is a tie in points.
- The group creator will be notified the evening of April 20 if the group was assigned to an apartment or not.
- NOTE: If a group was not successful in getting a North Village Apartment, they can submit a new Apartment Application for a Garden Apartment before April 22. If they do so, they may also need to edit/create a new Roommate Group in eRezLife. Remember that the names on the Apartment Application MUST match the Roommate Group composition in eRezLife.
- April 22, 9am: If you have a group applying for a Garden Apartment, your Roommate Group needs to be formed and your Apartment Application must be complete by 9am on April 22 in order to be considered. At 9am, Residence Life Staff will download the applications and sort the applying groups by point totals and assign each group a random number. These random numbers are utilized if there is a tie in points.
- April 26: Honors Students will be notified of a time when they are able to login on April 27 in order to select a bed from Honors Housing. Fall 2018 start category students will be assigned the earliest times, then Fall 2019, and then Fall 2020. For the purposes of selecting Honors Housing, Honors Students also need to have met the service hours expectation of the Honors Program.
- April 27: Honors Student room selection will take place.
- April 28-30: Students with medical accommodations that do not already have a room assignment will be contacted for housing placement.
- May 3: All remaining eligible students without a room assignment thus far will be assigned a date and time when they can begin to log in and select their housing.
- May 4: Room selection will take place for remaining students that started in Fall 2018 or transferred to McDaniel and are current Juniors.
- May 5: Room selection will take place for remaining students that started in Fall 2019 or transferred to McDaniel and are current Sophomores.
- May 6: Room selection will take place for remaining students that started in Fall 2020 or transferred to McDaniel and are current First Years.