Certified teachers looking to expand their skill-set and earn a master’s degree can find what they’re looking for in the M.S. in Secondary Education. The 36-credit program offers the opportunity to work with the program coordinator to self-design an academic plan that meets your individual professional needs. This program does not lead to initial teacher certification.
Candidates are encouraged to select an academic focus from a variety of McDaniel certificate programs and will have the ability to combine them to create a unique plan of study. Eligible course work from other master's programs offered through McDaniel College may also be incorporated into this program. Candidates will also have the option to add endorsements to their teaching certificate including, but not limited to, Administrator I Certification.
M.S. in Secondary Education Course Catalog »
McDaniel certificate options include:
• Administrator I Certification
• Equity and Excellence in Education
• Gifted and Talented Education Specialist (GATES)
• Learning Technology Specialist
• Writing for Children and Young Adults
• Faculty are highly engaged educational leaders.
• Convenient schedules fit your busy schedule.
• Online courses are available.
• Flexible program plans.
• Highly competitive tuition.
• Completed application for graduate study
• Submit the non-refundable application fee
• Official transcripts verifying completion of an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75
• Two official letters of recommendation
Note: Candidates should schedule a meeting with the program coordinator upon initial Admission to develop an individual Program of Study.
• Minimum 3.00 G.P.A., limit one course grade of “C”
• Successful completion of an individually developed project or thesis
Career Opportunities for Graduates
• The Secondary Education Program prepares certified teachers to expand their teaching repertoire.
• Adding endorsements to your existing teaching certificate increases opportunities within your school district.
Summer 2019 Application Deadline is April 30th
Fall 2019 Application Deadline is July 31st
Spring 2020 Application Deadline is December 15th
Applications are accepted and processed throughout the year but the College recommends that students submit their applications and official supporting materials well in advance of the start of the semester in which they plan to enroll. This allows for the application to be processed and reviewed, for account creation, and for registration into classes. The following dates reflect when registration opens for each term.
Summer Semester – April 1
Fall Semester – July 1
Spring Semester – December 1
**Please note, off-site education cohorts have until September 6th for entrance into the fall 2019 term to submit applications and supporting documents for consideration.
Students are assigned an advisor who will guide them as to which courses they will be taking each semester. Anyone admitted after the opening of registration may be placed on a wait list for certain desired courses.
1. How do I apply?
Visit the How to Apply page for application procedures and forms.
2. Does this program lead to initial teaching certification?
No, those interested in initial teaching certification should see our M.S. in Teaching.
3. I am a certified teacher… can I build my program using multiple McDaniel certificate programs?
Yes. Candidates may combine up to two certification programs within the master's curriculum or select one focus area and choose individual courses from other programs.
4. I am interested in becoming an Administrator, is that path available to me?
Absolutely! The eighteen (18) credit Administrator I Certification program can be integrated into the master's degree.
5. Can this program result in a master's in a content area?
No. One is not able to earn a content area-focused master's at McDaniel while pursuing the M.S. in Secondary Education. However, your assignments and projects can be developed with the content area that you teach in mind.