McDaniel produces the best teachers in Maryland. (That’s what an English teacher could call hyperbole… except we have the data to back it up.) What’s the secret to our success? Well, it starts with you. Your passion. Your empathy. Your desire to help others learn and grow.
McDaniel has provided programs for teacher preparation and certification for over 110 years. The College offers a major in Elementary Education as well as minors in Secondary and PreK–12 Education. Programs in the McDaniel College Education department were reviewed and accredited by the NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teachers) in 2017. McDaniel College will be reviewed by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) in the next cycle of accreditation in 2024.
McDaniel’s program is approved by the Maryland State Department of Education and leads to certification in Maryland and the more than 45 states involved in the Interstate Reciprocity Agreement (PDF).
The Educator Preparation Program (EPP) at McDaniel College is data-driven in its continuous improvement efforts. Multiple measures are used to document candidate performance in courses and their accompanying practicum experiences in Professional Development Schools. The EPP Assessment System includes data collected at four transition points:
- Transition Point 1: Admission to the Program
- Transition Point 2: Admission to the Final Professional Semester (Student Teaching)
- Transition Point 3: Completion of the Final Professional Semester (Student Teaching)
- Transition Point 4: College to Career
Faculty and key stakeholders annually review data from the assessment system to guide program and course improvements.
The following data sets provide information to McDaniel College’s various stakeholders:
- Impact on P-12 Learning and Development
- Indicators of Teaching Effectiveness
- Satisfaction of Employers and Employment Milestones
- Satisfaction of Completers
- Graduation Rates
- Ability of Completers to Meet Licensing and any Additional State Requirements
- Ability of Completers to be Hired in Educational Positions for Which They Have Been Prepared
- Student Loan Default rates