The world of data analytics is booming as companies become more savvy regarding where and how to spend their money either on advertising and marketing whether it be for product development, labor planning, boosting safety, budgeting, or maximizing productivity. More often than not, individuals are becoming data scientists as part of their everyday jobs, pulling them away from their primary functions. The same is true for municipal and government employees who operate on tight budgets and face outdated infrastructure or software.
Through the post-baccalaureate certificate program at McDaniel College, students will be able to extract, organize, and transform data to generate insights for decision-making. They will learn from professionals who continue to evolve with this ever-changing field. This 100% online program is fifteen (15) credits.
- Use data to address current needs and identify future trends
- Communicate meaning and implications of analysis to a variety of audiences
- Think critically about business needs to be ahead of your market
- Drive the planning sessions in your company through a more thoughtful process
1. What is the time to completion for this program?
McDaniel’s graduate certificate in Data Analytics may be completed within one year. If you will be balancing work with your studies, this program may be completed within two years.
2. Is this program offered totally online?
Yes and McDaniel College utilizes Blackboard for all online learning. An instructional video is available for those who need a refresher.
4. What sort of jobs will I be able to get with this degree?
Graduates of the Data Analytics certificate may insert themselves into any industry! This program is diverse and translates across many professions.
5. What courses will I be taking?
Students pursuing this certificate will explore the following courses:
* Foundations of Data Analytics: An introduction to fundamental techniques of data analysis, emphasizing large data sets.
* Computational Statistics: Students will be introduced to common software including SAS and will begin to connect analysis technique with advanced data mining.
* Data Mining: Focusing on techniques of data mining, students will learn to prepare data, address classification, and clustering among other practices.
* Information Design and Visualization: This course will focus on the use of data visualization technique to understand, communicate, and use data in decision-making.
* Decision Support Systems: Provides an understanding of the techniques, approaches, and tools associated with generating business intelligence.
Applications are accepted and processed throughout the year but the College recommends that students submit their applications and official supporting materials well in advance of the start of the semester in which they plan to enroll.
Fall Semester – August 1
Spring Semester – December 15
These filing dates are after the opening of registration for those semesters so students wishing to have the greatest choice of courses should submit their applications earlier.
• Completed application for graduate study.
• Official transcript verifying completion of an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75.
• Three official professional or academic letters of recommendation. These requests will be emailed directly to the recommenders through your application.
• A professional resume highlighting related work experience.
• Letter of intent detailing personal and professional goals relative to the program of study.
This highly applicable certificate will qualify individuals for leadership and managerial roles as well as train them to become “Citizen Data Scientists”. Graduates will be well-versed in examining historical data in order to predict productivity needs as well as improve efficiency within one's company. Job posting growth has seen a 24% increase from 2013-2016 (BurningGlass) with an average base salary of $60,000 (BurningGlass).