There is an increasing need for professionals with specialized skills to work with older adults, a need that will continue to grow as the population ages. The Specialist in Aging Graduate Certificate allows students to examine aging from a bio-psycho social perspective. In its design, students learn the physical, mental, and social aspects of life and aging. The program is suited for individuals in existing roles in the senior service sector; professionals and others considering a career with elders; and individuals whose work or personal responsibilities include contact or working with aging adult.
Graduate Specialist in Aging Course Catalog »
Get your degree online or on campus
McDaniel offers three ways to obtain your Specialist in Aging Graduate Certificate. You can take classes entirely at the Westminster campus or completely online, and there is a also a hybrid option if you'd like to take a blend. The certificate may be completed independently or students may elect to roll their credit hours into the masters degree program.
The certificate program requires 18 semester hours: 12 semester hours are core courses in gerontology, and the remaining six semester hours can be selected from any electives related to your area of professional/personal interest.
Key Features of the Specialist in Aging Graduate Certificate program include:
• Complete all six courses in a face-to-face, online or a hybrid format—combining both methods.
• Transfer the 18 credits in this certificate to the M.S. in Gerontology.
• Tailor the program to your interests or career goals through electives.
• Social workers in PA and MD, and psychologists in PA, can earn CEUs.
•As an institutional member of AGHE (Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education), our curriculum is designed to meet or exceed the competencies developed by the organization.
•Small class size and individual attention from professors.
•Offers convenient schedules to fit your busy schedule.
•Highly competitive tuition.
• Completed application for graduate study
• Submit the non-refundable application fee
• Official transcripts verifying completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. No minimum GPA required.
• Successfully complete all six courses in the program with a “B” or better.
Please contact the Office of Admissions with questions regarding the program: 410-857-2516
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Completers of the Specialist in Aging Graduate Certificate can obtain managerial and administrative roles in the following industries and organizations:
• Community, human services and religious organizations
• Healthcare and long-term care institutions
• Local, state and federal agencies
• Retirement communities
• Academic and educational institutions
• Aging research institutions
• Business and industry
Summer 2019 Application Deadline is April 30th
Fall 2019 Application Deadline is July 31st
Spring 2020 Application Deadline is December 15th
Applications are accepted and processed throughout the year but the College recommends that students submit their applications and official supporting materials well in advance of the start of the semester in which they plan to enroll. This allows for the application to be processed and reviewed, for account creation, and for registration into classes. The following dates reflect when registration opens for each term.
Summer Semester – April 1
Fall Semester – July 1
Spring Semester – December 1
Students are assigned an advisor who will guide them as to which courses they will be taking each semester. Anyone admitted after the opening of registration may be placed on a wait list for certain desired courses.
1. Is this program offered 100% online?
Yes, we do have a version of the program that can be taken totally online.
2. Can I mix online and face-to-face classes?
Yes, please be sure to let your advisor know that you are planning to take courses both ways.
3. I started the program online (or) face-to-face. Can I switch to the other version of the program?
Yes, please be sure to consult with your advisor before doing so.