Developed in collaboration with the National Institute of Aerospace’s Center for Integrative STEM Education and initially piloted in Carroll County Public Schools and Newport News Public Schools, McDaniel’s Graduate Certificate in STEM Instructional Leadership (SIL) is offered both hybrid and online is open to all interested educators.
Program completers earn the MSDE endorsement “Instructional Leader: STEM (PreK-6)” and a Graduate Certificate in STEM Instructional Leadership. Those not wishing to pursue endorsement may complete the graduate certificate without the practicum.
STEM Instructional Leadership Course Catalog »
Who Can Benefit from the SIL Program?
- Practicing childhood K-12 educators
- Teachers seeking STEM leadership roles
- Curriculum developers and supervisors
- Instructional leaders
- School administrators
What are the Benefits?
- Develop a practical and foundational understanding of STEM education content and practices preparing students for STEM leadership roles.
- Develop and implement authentic, integrated inquiry- and design-based STEM learning experiences.
- Deepen science, technology, and mathematics conceptual knowledge.
- Develop an understanding of trends and issues related to STEM education.
- Improved understanding of the engineering design process.
- Learn to support integrative STEM learning through inquiry using national science, engineering, and mathematics practices.
- Establish a working understanding of Maryland’s STEM Standards of Practice (SOP) and the ability to develop lessons that support the SOP.
- Utilize STEM notebooks as tools to develop students’ abilities to engage in argument from evidence and communicate information.
- Enhance coaching and facilitation skills for both face-to-face and online professional development for colleagues.
- Completed application for graduate study
- Submit the non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts verifying completion of an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
Sharon Bowers, Ph.D.
SIL Program Coordinator