The TESOL Praxis II Prep Sequence is a five-course series designed to prepare certified teachers to take the Praxis II (test 0361) in ESOL. The five courses have been strategically selected from our M.S. in TESOL program to target key areas of Praxis II. Should you complete the series and choose to move into the M.S. in TESOL program, your 15 credits transfer in. This means that you only need seven more courses (21 credits) to complete the M.S. program.
Key Features of the TESOL Praxis II Prep Series include:
• Preparation for the Praxis II (test 0361) in ESOL
• Updated knowledge working with English Language Learners (ELLs)
• Courses focus on key areas such as: Foundations in English Learner Education, Assessment of English Learners, Teaching Reading to ELLs in Content Areas, Principals of Language Acquisition and Linguistics for ESOL Teachers.
• Enhance your résumé with new skills from a high-quality and accredited program from an institution that is renowned for its graduate teacher education programs.
• Flexible schedules with online and face-to-face classes in the late afternoon and evening allow you to fit full-time education into your busy schedule.
• Balances full-time faculty with adjunct instructors who draw course content from best practices in the field.
• Small class size and individual attention that the professors provide students.
• Highly competitive tuition.
• Completed application for graduate study
• Submit the non-refundable application fee
• Official transcripts verifying completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75
Note: Please be sure to apply as a nondegree student
• Successful completion of all required coursework
• Minimum 3.0 overall GPA
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Graduates of this program fill various positions:
• ESOL teachers.
• Foreign language teachers.
• English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teachers.
• Government and corporate positions requiring the teaching of or, interaction with speakers of other languages.
Summer 2019 Application Deadline is April 30th
Fall 2019 Application Deadline is July 31st
Spring 2020 Application Deadline is December 15th
Applications are accepted and processed throughout the year but the College recommends that students submit their applications and official supporting materials well in advance of the start of the semester in which they plan to enroll. This allows for the application to be processed and reviewed, for account creation, and for registration into classes. The following dates reflect when registration opens for each term.
Summer Semester – April 1
Fall Semester – July 1
Spring Semester – December 1
Students are assigned an advisor who will guide them as to which courses they will be taking each semester. Anyone admitted after the opening of registration may be placed on a wait list for certain desired courses.
1. Can I take the entire program online?
The entire Praxis II prep sequence can be taken online.
2. Does this program lead to initial teaching certification?
This program leads to advanced certification through MSDE. Participants must already hold valid teaching certification. If you are seeking initial certification, please visit our BEST program page.