Professor Lauren Dundes
Phone: (410) 857-2534
Office: Lewis Recitation Hall, Room 228
Education: BA Human Biology (Stanford University), MHS, Sc.D. (Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health).
RESEARCH INTERESTS INCLUDE:
- Race and gender intersectionality
- Racial and ethnic stereotypes
- Gender roles
- Cultural factors in health care
Introductory Sociology, Capstone (research course, that includes guiding students in their creation of a professional research poster), Criminology, and Medical Sociology.
EXAMPLES OF RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Exemplar Research Collaborations with Students
- 2018. Nsangou, Ashly and Lauren Dundes. Parsing the gulf between Africans and African Americans. Social Sciences 7, 24, http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0760/7/2/24.
Drawing on her background as an Cameroonian who grew up in the US, Ashly used survey and interview data to study African and African American ethnicity.
- 2018. Brewer, Sierra and Lauren Dundes. Concerned, meet terrified: Intersectional feminism and the Women's March. Women's Studies International Forum 69, pp. 49-55.
Sierra collected and analyzed interview data that showed how a sample of young African American women felt marginalized by the agenda at the 2017 Women’s March.
- Rohrer, Kristyn, and Lauren Dundes. Sharing the load: Amish healthcare financing. Healthcare 2016, 4, 92. http://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/4/4/92/htm
Kristyn Rohrer studied the Amish exemption to ObamaCare based on her interviews of members of the Amish community in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Kallon, Isata, and Lauren Dundes. The Cultural Context of the Sierra Leonean Mende Woman as Patient. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 2010, 21(3): 228-236.
Isata interviewed Sierra Leonean immigrants who had experienced culturally-based difficulties when using the US health care system.
- Dundes, Lauren, Eunice Cho, and Spencer Kwak. The duty to succeed: Honor versus happiness in college and career choices of East Asian students in the United States. Pastoral Care in Education, 2009, 27(2): 135-156.
Students Eunice Cho and Spencer Kwak examined cultural differences in parental expectations and priorities in their children’s education and careers.
- Magnuson, Melissa Joy, and Lauren Dundes. Gender differences in “social portraits” reflected in MySpace profiles. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 2008, 11(2): 239-241.
This paper built on Melissa’s senior capstone research that examined gender differences in the online presentation of self.
- Smith, Melanie K., and Lauren Dundes. The implications of gender stereotypes for the dentist-patient relationship. Journal of Dental Education, 2008, 72(5): 562-570.
Melanie, who went on to dental school, assessed whether traditionally based gender stereotypes are applied to dentists in order to elucidate patient expectations related to the clinician-patient relationship.
- Vivian, Carrie, and Lauren Dundes. The crossroads of culture and health among the Roma (Gypsies). Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 2004,36(1): 86-91.
Carrie talked to health care practitioners about their experiences in treating Roma patients.
- Rajapaksa, Sushama, and Lauren Dundes. It's a long way home: International student adjustment to living in the United States. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice, 2002, 4(1): 15-28.
Sushama gathered survey data from international students about homesickness. This paper has been cited by other scholars over 200 times.
Collaborations with colleagues include:
Harlow, Roxanna, and Lauren Dundes. "“United” we stand: Responses to the September 11 attacks in black and white. Sociological Perspectives, 2004, 47(4): 439-464.
Dundes, Lauren, and Bill Spence. If Ida known: The speaker versus the speech in judging black dialect. Teaching Sociology, 2007, 35(1): 85-93.
Smith, Richard M., and Lauren Dundes. Reticent on race: Promoting constructive discussions about race in a college classroom. Race and Pedagogy Journal: Teaching and Learning for Justice, 2016, 1(3): 2. http://soundideas.pugetsound.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1010&context=rpj
Analysis of Disney movies:
Dundes, Lauren, and Alan Dundes. The trident and the fork: Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’ as a male construction of an Electral fantasy. Psychoanalytic Studies, 2000, 2(2): 117-130.
Dundes, Lauren. Disney’s modern heroine Pocahontas: revealing age-old gender stereotypes and role discontinuity under a façade of liberation."The Social Science Journal, 2001, 38(3): 353-365.
Dundes, Lauren, and Alan Dundes. Young hero Simba defeats old villain Scar: Oedipus wrecks the Lyin’ King." The Social Science Journal, 2006, 43(3): 479-485.
Dundes, Lauren, and Madeline Streiff. Reel royal diversity? The glass ceiling in Disney’s Mulan and Princess and the Frog. Societies, 2016, 6(4): 35. http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4698/6/4/35/htm
Streiff, Madeline, and Lauren Dundes. Frozen in Time: How Disney Gender-Stereotypes Its Most Powerful Princess. Social Sciences, 2017, 6(2): 38. http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0760/6/2/38/htm
Streiff, Madeline, and Lauren Dundes. From Shapeshifter to Lava Monster: Gender Stereotypes in Disney’s Moana. Social Sciences 6, no. 3 (2017): 91. http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0760/6/3/91/htm
Student co-authors are underlined.
- Adam Reid and Lauren Dundes. Bystander Programs: Accommodating or Derailing Sexism? Behavioral Sciences, 2017, 7(4), 65; doi:10.3390/bs7040065. http://www.mdpi.com/2076-328X/7/4/65/htm
- Madeline Streiff and Lauren Dundes. From Shapeshifter to Lava Monster: Gender Stereotypes in Disney’s Moana."Social Sciences 6(3): 91. http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0760/6/3/91/htm
- Madeline Streiff and Lauren Dundes. Frozen in Time: How Disney Gender-Stereotypes its Most Powerful Princess. Social Sciences. 6:2: 38. http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0760/6/2/38/htm
- Shandria Robertson and Lauren Dundes. Anger Matters: Black Female Student Alienation at Predominantly White Institutions. The Race and Pedagogy Journal. Race and Pedagogy Journal: Teaching and Learning for Justice 2, 3. http://soundideas.pugetsound.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=rpj
- Lauren Dundes and Madeline Streiff. Reel Royal Diversity? The Glass Ceiling in Disney’s Mulan and Princess and the Frog. Societies 2016, 6(4), 35; doi:10.3390/soc6040035. http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4698/6/4/35.
- Kristyn Rohrer and Lauren Dundes. Sharing the Load: Amish Healthcare Financing. Healthcare 2016, 4(4), 92; doi:10.3390/healthcare4040092. http://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/4/4/92.
- Richard M. Smith and Lauren Dundes. Reticent on Race: Promoting Constructive Discussions about Race in a College Classroom. The Race and Pedagogy Journal.
- Antonia Francis and Lauren Dundes. Inking and Thinking: Honors Students and Tattoos. College Student Journal, 50(2), 219-223.
- Christina Marlow and Lauren Dundes. Humane Executions? Assessing the Role of Families in Capital Cases. Illness, Crisis and Loss, 18(1), 37-47.
- Isata Kallon and Lauren Dundes. The Cultural Context of the Sierra Leonean Mende Woman as Patient. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 21(3), 228-336.
- Lauren Dundes, Eunice Cho, and Spencer Kwak. The Duty to Succeed: Honor versus Happiness in College and Career Choices of East Asian Students in the United States. Pastoral Care in Education, 27(2), 135-156.
- Lauren Dundes, Anna Kulow and Debra Lemke. Energy Conservation Strategies among American College Students. Energy Efficiency, 2(3), 233-241.
- Brittany Wells and Lauren Dundes. Pre-emptive Laxatives: A College Campus Urban Legend. Agro Food Industry hi-tech, 20(1), 31-33.
- Fleshing out the role of skipping breakfast in weight control. Agro Food Industry hi-tech. 19(5), 26-27.
- Tamiko Swann and Lauren Dundes. Food Safety in Fast Food Restaurants: A Case Study of One College Student’s Observations. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 7(2), 153-161.
- Rachel Bryant and Lauren Dundes. Fast food perceptions: A pilot study of college students in Spain and the United States. Appetite, 51(2), 327-330.
- Melanie K. Smith and Lauren Dundes. The Implications of Gender Stereotypes for the Dentist-Patient Relationship. Journal of Dental Education, 2008 72(5), 562-570.
- Melissa Magnuson and Lauren Dundes. Gender Differences in Social Portraits Reflected in MySpace Profiles. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 11(2), 239-241.
- Diane Witte and Lauren Dundes Prescription for Error: Process Defects in a Community Retail Pharmacy. Journal of Patient Safety, 3(4), 190-4.
- Jill Hoffman, Lauren Dundes and Debra Lemke. Reflections of the self: comparing pressures on men and women to lose weight. Agro Food Industry hi-tech, 18(1), 38-39.
- Lauren Dundes and Bill Spence. If Ida Known . . . The Speaker versus the Speech in Judging Black Dialect. Teaching Sociology, 35(1), 85-93.
- Sushama Rajapaksa and Lauren Dundes. Can Humanitarianism Instill Good Will? American Tsunami Aid and Sri Lankan Reactions International Studies Perspectives, 7(3), 231-238.
- Lauren Dundes and Jeff Marx. Balancing work and academics in college: Why do students working 10 to 19 hours per week excel? Journal of College Student Retention, 8(1), 107-120.
- Lauren Dundes and Alan Dundes. Young Hero Simba defeats Old Villain Scar: Oedipus Wrecks the Lyin’ King. The Social Science Journal. 43(3): 479-485.
- Nelson Stydinger and Lauren Dundes. Over the Hill? A Nontraditional Undergraduate Student’s Uphill Battle. College Quarterly 9(2). http://www.collegequarterly.ca/2006-vol09-num02-spring/stydinger_dundes.html.
- Diane Witte and Lauren Dundes. Respect Yourself in the Morning: An Analysis of Kellogg’s Trademark Phrase. Nutrition Today, 40(6), 278-9.
- Lauren Dundes and Debra Lemke. Gender Differences in Weight Preoccupation and Management among College Students. Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 69(3), 52-67.
- Rachel Bryant and Lauren Dundes. Portion Distortion: Comparing Serving Sizes to Portion Sizes among College Students. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39(2), 399-408.
- Lauren Dundes and Roxanna Harlow. Illustrating the Nature of Social Inequality with the Simulation Star Power. Teaching Sociology, 33(1), 32-43.
- Roxanna Harlow and Lauren Dundes. “United” We Stand: Responses to the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Acts on the United States in Black and White. Sociological Perspectives, 47(4), 439-464.
- Rachel Bryant and Lauren Dundes. American Individualism and the Obesity Battle: Would Peer Pressure Help? Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 68(4), 58-63.
- Lyndsay Bare and Lauren Dundes. 2004. Preferences of Anxious Dental Patients. Journal of Dental Education. 68(11), 1172-77. Reprinted in Dental Abstracts, 2005, 50(4), 239-240.
- Carrie Vivian and Lauren Dundes. The crossroads of culture and health among the Roma (Gypsies). Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 36(1), 1-7.
- Lauren Dundes and Sushama Rajapaksa. Just Deserts? An Examination of Sri Lankans’ Reactions to 9/11. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, 27(1), 31-45.
- Editor: The Manner Born: Birth Rites in Cross-Cultural Perspective. Walnut Creek: AltaMira Press.
- Dancesafe and Ecstasy: Protection or Promotion? Journal of Health and Social Policy, 17(1), 17-31.
- Who should fund sleeping sickness eradication? A survey assessing support for compulsory philanthropy. Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 67(3), 14-31.
- Danielle Drankiewicz and Lauren Dundes. Handwashing among Female College Students. American Journal of Infection Control, 31(2), 67-71.
- Diane Witte and Lauren Dundes. Issues of Efficacy with Dietary Supplements. Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 67(1), 50-8.
- Concealed Kitchen Conduct: Observations of Restaurant Kitchens by Waitpersons. Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 66(3), 114-9.
- Rachelle Giguere and Lauren Dundes. Help Wanted: A Survey of Employer Concerns about Hiring Ex-Convicts. Criminal Justice Policy Review, 13(4), 396-408.
- Corporal Punishment. Entry for Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Historical Encyclopedia, (four volumes), editor Herbert M. Kritzer. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO. Volume 1, 362-364.
- Sushama Rajapaksa and Lauren Dundes. It’s a Long Way Home: International College Student Adjustment to Living in the United States. The Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory and Practice, 4(1), 15-28.
- Karen Lovecchio and Lauren Dundes. Premed Survival: Understanding the Culling Process in Premedical Undergraduate Education. Academic Medicine, 77(7), 719-724.
- Lauren Dundes and Alan Dundes. The Elephant Walk and Other Amazing Hazing: Male Fraternity Initiation through Infantilization and Feminization. Bloody Mary in the Mirror: Folkloristics in Psychoanalytic Perspective, Alan Dundes (editor), Jackson, MS: University of Mississippi Press, pp. 95-121.
- Juvenile Law. In The Oxford Companion to American Law, New York: Oxford University Press, Kermit L. Hall, editor. pp. 464-468.
- Christine Witte and Lauren Dundes. Reality: An Unusual Approach to Deterring Drinking and Drug Use among Juveniles. Crime Prevention and Community Safety: An International Journal, 3(4), 63-70.
- Diane Witte and Lauren Dundes. Harnessing Life Energy or Wishful Thinking? Reiki, Placebo Reiki, Meditation and Music. Alternative & Complementary Therapies, 7(5), 304-309.
- Disney’s Modern Heroine Pocahontas: Revealing Age-Old Gender Stereotypes and Role Discontinuity under a Façade of Liberation. The Social Science Journal, 38(3), 353-365.
- Is the American Public Ready to Embrace DNA as a Crime Fighting Tool? A Survey Assessing Support for DNA Databases. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 21(5), 369-375.
- Lauren Dundes and Sushama Rajapaksa. Restaurant Inspection Results: How College Students and Food Safety Professionals Interpret Posted Scores and Grades. Journal of Environmental Health, 64(5), 14-19.
- Sushama Rajapaksa and Lauren Dundes. Restaurant Food Safety: Perceptions and Validity of Assessing Violations. Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 65(1), 14-21.
- Food Expiration Dates: Quality or Safety? A Need for Clarification. Journal of the Association of Food and Drug Officials, 65(3), 59-64.
- Small Group Debates: Fostering Critical Thinking in Oral Presentations with Maximal Class Involvement. Teaching Sociology, 29(2), 237-243.
- Michael B. Streiff, Lauren Dundes, and Jerry Spivak. A Mail Survey of United States Hematologists and Oncologists: A Comparison of Business Reply versus Stamped Return Envelopes. The Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 54(4), 430-2.
- Lauren Dundes, Robyn Perlow, and Bethany Brown. Catch Them Before They Fall: Using College Students to Mentor Middle School Girls. Principal Leadership, 1(2), 50-55.
- Lauren Dundes and Alan Dundes. The Trident and the Fork: Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” as a Male Construction of an Electral Fantasy. Psychoanalytic Studies, 2(2), 117-130.
- Lauren Dundes, Michael B. Streiff and Alan Dundes. When You Hear Hoofbeats, Think Horses, Not Zebras: A Folk Medical Diagnostic Proverb. Proverbium: Yearbook of International Proverb Scholarship, 16: 95-103.
- Lauren Dundes and Michael B. Streiff. Crisis in Organ Donations: A Survey of Public Attitudes on Organ Donations and Suggestions for Improvement in the Donation Process. Illness, Crisis and Loss, 7(4), 346-359.
- Exploring the Roots of Juvenile Violence: The Troubling Problem of Extended Egocentrism. Proteus: A Journal of Ideas, 13(2), 50-56.
- Punishing Parents to Deter Delinquency: A Realistic Remedy? American Journal of Police, 13(4), 113-133. National Criminal Justice reference service #156683.
- The Evolution of Maternal Birthing Position. The American Journal of Public Health, 77 (5), 636-641. Reprinted in Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey, 43:1, January, 1988, pp. 47-48.