The First Year Experience offers new students ongoing individual and class support throughout the entire first year at McDaniel both academically and socially.
Fall & Spring Support and Social Events Linked to First Year Students
- A “First Look” series of presentations in the First Year Seminar (FYS) class on time management, academic strategies, career exploration, community services, etc.
- Events and support services in the First Stop office to promote academic and social success
- Social events throughout semester designed for the first-year students
- Project teams of Peer Mentors to help with typical retention issues facing first-year students
- Facebook group for students continues throughout entire year
- Family Weekend (Date to be announced soon.)
- First Year Student Appreciation Week
- Peer Mentor Program for support for transition needs
- First Year Council (formed in the Fall semester of current students) sponsors events in the Spring to connect students and ease transition into Sophomore year.
Important Offices & Support in the First Year:
The First Stop
The "First Stop" – Center for the First Year Experience, serves as a home base for students in their first year at McDaniel (first-year or first-year transfer). First Stop is the one-stop place for students to ask questions, get information, come in and say “hello” and get individual academic support. First Stop houses many components of the First Year Experience Program including the Peer Mentor program, First Year Seminar, Transfer Student Seminar, and new student orientation. The center also hosts workshops and meeting space for student programs (peer mentor programs, academic workshops, tutoring, First Year Council, Alpha Lambda Delta first year honor society, and more). As the First Stop expands and grows, it will provide additional opportunities for first-year students and families to connect to the community through this new center.
The First Stop is located in Hoover Library – 2nd floor.
The center can be reached at: 410-857-2790 or email@example.com.
Math Placement Exam Review Materials
Math Placement Exam retakes are offered online in July and on campus four times per year. Want to brush up on your skills? Click HERE!
Student Affairs/Student Life Resources
Additional Campus Resources/Information
First Year Resident Students & Parking
McDaniel College will offer limited parking to first year students through a lottery system. An email with information will be sent to all first year students in mid-June with information on how to enroll in the lottery for the 100 permits available.
Questions? Please contact:
Sgt. Mike Gromley
Operations Manager, Director of Campus Safety
2 College Hill
Westminster, MD 21157