First Year Student Checklist
As soon as a new student deposits, McDaniel does all it can to connect the new student to the community and prepare the student for arrival.
In the summer prior to arriving to the Hill, the First Year Program connects students to one another and the community through social media and in person communication and activities; support for a placement exam process; a connection to a faculty advisor for the advising process and class registration; a connection to the a student Peer Mentor and a lot of support for all the “to do” items before arriving to campus in August.
KICK-OFF ROUND: KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK ON THESE DEADLINES!
First Year Students, scroll down to connect to your next action steps and checklist for preparation and arrival!
FIRST YEAR STUDENTS ONLY - Summary of DUE DATES/DEADLINES:
- AS SOON AS YOU DEPOSIT:
- Read welcome email, activate account, complete financial aid pieces, read your McDaniel email daily, register with Student Academic Support Services if you need accommodations, join the closed FB group to connect!
- MAY 14
- McDaniel Local Pre-Orientation registration form – EARLY BIRD DEADLINE! (if you are attending optional pre-orientation)
- JUNE 1
- Housing/roommate form
- McDaniel Local Pre-Orientation registration form (if you are attending optional pre-orientation)
- JUNE 8
- Submit First Year Seminar (FYS) Rating Interest Form
- Complete Academic Placement Exams online in Blackboard
- English, Math & Second Language
- JUNE 25
- Submit your picture online for your McDaniel 1Card/ID card
- JULY 1
- Reserve your spot in My Design for Jan Term 2019
- JULY 9-20
- Academic Advising with FYS Professor (if you did not complete advising in McDaniel Local on campus)
- Math RETAKE option open in Blackboard
- JULY 15
- Submit Health form
- JULY 24
- AUGUST 22 (opens AUGUST 1)
- Complete Online courses in Alcohol Edu and Haven
- AUGUST 23
- Move-in Day & Orientation begins
MORE DETAILED SCOOP!
ROUND 1 – WELCOME, ACTIVATE, READ, SMILE AND REGISTER FOR MCD LOCAL!
- Read the “Welcome” Email you will receive from Admissions: This email will come to your personal email account (the one you used when applying). In this email, you will be given directions on how to log into the admissions website and access your McDaniel username and ID. Your McDaniel username will also serve as your McDaniel email address. (For example, if your username is emg003, then your McDaniel email address is firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Activate your Account with your McDaniel username and ID. If you need help, watch this video to learn how »
- Read your McDaniel email! Need help reading email or more information about McDaniel’s technology resources? Find additional resources and help online or call our IT HELP DESK at 410-871-3390
- Submit your McDaniel 1Card/ID Picture NOW but no later than JUNE 25! Learn more here »
- Learn more about attending one of the optional, life-changing pre-orientation McDaniel Local experiences this summer. Early bird registration ends May 14th; final registration deadline is June 1st.
- Complete the Summer Contact Form to hear updates and reminders from the First Year Team all summer long.
- Reserve your spot NOW in My Design for Jan Term 2019. Space is limited so don't delay!
ROUND 2 – MONEY, INFO AND CONNECT ONLINE!
- FINANCIAL AID: Review your personalized Financial Aid Self Service Page to ensure timely financial aid processing to meet deadlines for fall invoices.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions about paperwork, processes, etc. at 410-857-2233.
- BURSAR’S OFFICE: Please review the links below to set up your authorized user and familiarize yourself with important dates. Statements are on-line.
- RELEASE OF STUDENT INFORMATION: This authorization allows McDaniel College to share education records with your parents or others. The student must return completed form to the Registrar’s Office in person, or scan/photograph and email it to email@example.com from the student’s McDaniel email account.
- FACEBOOK – CLOSED GROUP: Request to join the 2022 Facebook group so you can ask questions, meet other students and get to know the McDaniel staff, students and faculty!
ROUND 3 – COLLEGE LIFE TO DO FORMS!
- Submit your HOUSING/ROOMMATE FORM: DUE JUNE 1: Complete your Housing/Roommate form if you will be living here. Email Nyambi Shannon or call 410-857-2240 with any questions about the form. If you believe you will need any special housing accommodations, find more information here.
- Register for Academic Accommodations with our SASS Office: DUE ASAP - FOR STUDENTS WITH DOCUMENTED LEARNING, PSYCHOLOGICAL OR PHYSICAL DIFFERENCES: Connect with our Student Academic Support Services (SASS) Office - If you are a student with a documented disability, please complete the Student Academic Support Services (SASS) registration form ASAP so SASS can help to support your needs this summer as you get ready to arrive!
- Submit your HEALTH FORM: DUE JULY 15: Make an appointment with your doctor to get a physical! You will need to turn in an updated health form to the College by July 15! If you have any questions, please refer to the Health Form FAQ's or call the Wellness Center at 410-857-2243.
- Submit a parent/family information form to the College.
- Complete the required online courses in ALCOHOL EDU AND HAVEN ONLINE COURSES. OPEN ONLINE AUGUST 1st - DUE AUGUST 22.
ROUND 4 – THAT THING CALLED ACADEMICS!
- Submit your FIRST YEAR SEMINAR (FYS) INTEREST RATING FORM: DUE JUNE 8: Required for all new FY students! Read the following overview of ALL the FYS Fall 2018 Courses and then rate your First Year Seminar (FYS) Course so we can assign you to one that interests YOU!)
- Log into BlackBoard and complete the following placement exams. These are a required part of the new student process. If you need help understanding this process, please watch this video tutorial »
- When your results become available in June (should be available on or around June 25) you can find the course placement results under "Test Summary” in the student menu of self-service. Once you have located those placement courses, go here to find out what your scores mean. If you have any trouble finding the course placement results, you can ask your FYS Professor/ADVISOR or contact the First Stop Office.
- English (Required)
- Contact is Professor Nida: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Math (ONLY REQUIRED NOW if you intend on taking math, computer science, business classes, related sciences, in the first semester here)
- Second Language (REQUIRED IN THE LANGUAGE YOU STUDIED IN HIGH SCHOOL)
- English (Required)
ROUND 5 – CONNECT WITH YOUR ADVISOR AND GET SOME CLASSES!
- WHEN IS ADVISING?
- For students who attend “MCDANIEL LOCAL” (the pre-orientation session) on campus in the summer, you will connect with an advising team while here for a brief starter conversation!
- All students will connect with their First Year Seminar Professor/Advisor for advising any time between JULY 9th-20th.
- Learn more about First-Year Advising and Class Registration.
- WHEN IS CLASS REGISTRATION?
- All FY students will start registration on JULY 24TH.
- The time of registration will be assigned by student
- Students must be “cleared” by an advisor in order to register
- McDaniel uses a system called Student Planning to plan out and registrar for courses – check out this intro video
- When you are getting ready to register – start with this video to learn how to prepare!
- Registration occurs at McDaniel ONLINE in our student system called the “STUDENT PLANNING”.
- All FY students will start registration on JULY 24TH.
ROUND 6 – THE REAL DEAL FOR WHAT COMES NEXT!