As soon as a new student deposits, McDaniel does all it can to connect the new student to the community and prepare the student for arrival.
In the summer prior to arriving to the Hill, the First Year Program connects students to one another and the community through social media and in person communication and activities; support for a placement exam process; a connection to a faculty advisor for the advising process and class registration; a connection to the a student Peer Mentor and a lot of support for all the “to do” items before arriving to campus in August.
KICK-OFF ROUND: KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK ON THESE DEADLINES!
First Year Students, scroll down to connect to your next action steps and checklist for preparation and arrival!
FIRST YEAR STUDENTS ONLY - Summary of DUE DATES/DEADLINES:
- AS SOON AS YOU DEPOSIT:
- Read welcome email, activate account, complete financial aid pieces, read your McDaniel email daily, register with Student Academic Support Services if you need accommodations, join the closed FB group to connect!
- MAY 14
- McDaniel Local Pre-Orientation registration form – EARLY BIRD DEADLINE! (if you are attending optional pre-orientation)
- JUNE 1
- Housing/roommate form
- McDaniel Local Pre-Orientation registration form (if you are attending optional pre-orientation)
- JUNE 8
- Submit First Year Seminar (FYS) Rating Interest Form
- Complete Academic Placement Exams online in Blackboard
- English, Math & Second Language
- JUNE 25
- Submit your picture online for your McDaniel 1Card/ID card
- JULY 1
- Reserve your spot in My Design for Jan Term 2019
- JULY 9-20
- Academic Advising with FYS Professor (if you did not complete advising in McDaniel Local on campus)
- Math RETAKE option open in Blackboard
- JULY 15
- JULY 24
- First-Year student registration day
- AUGUST 22 (opens AUGUST 1)
- Complete Online courses in Alcohol Edu and Haven
- AUGUST 23
- Move-in Day & Orientation begins
MORE DETAILED SCOOP!
ROUND 1 – WELCOME, ACTIVATE, READ, SMILE AND REGISTER FOR MCD LOCAL!
ROUND 2 – MONEY, INFO AND CONNECT ONLINE!
- FINANCIAL AID: Review your personalized Financial Aid Self Service Page to ensure timely financial aid processing to meet deadlines for fall invoices.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions about paperwork, processes, etc. at 410-857-2233.
- BURSAR’S OFFICE: Please review the links below to set up your authorized user and familiarize yourself with important dates. Statements are on-line.
- RELEASE OF STUDENT INFORMATION: This authorization allows McDaniel College to share education records with your parents or others. The student must return completed form to the Registrar’s Office in person, or scan/photograph and email it to email@example.com from the student’s McDaniel email account.
- FACEBOOK – CLOSED GROUP: Request to join the 2022 Facebook group so you can ask questions, meet other students and get to know the McDaniel staff, students and faculty!
ROUND 3 – COLLEGE LIFE TO DO FORMS!
ROUND 4 – THAT THING CALLED ACADEMICS!
- Submit your FIRST YEAR SEMINAR (FYS) INTEREST RATING FORM: DUE JUNE 8: Required for all new FY students! Read the following overview of ALL the FYS Fall 2018 Courses and then rate your First Year Seminar (FYS) Course so we can assign you to one that interests YOU!)
- Log into BlackBoard and complete the following placement exams. These are a required part of the new student process. If you need help understanding this process, please watch this video tutorial »
- When your results become available in June (should be available on or around June 25) you can find the course placement results under "Test Summary” in the student menu of self-service. Once you have located those placement courses, go here to find out what your scores mean. If you have any trouble finding the course placement results, you can ask your FYS Professor/ADVISOR or contact the First Stop Office.
- English (Required)
- Math (ONLY REQUIRED NOW if you intend on taking math, computer science, business classes, related sciences, in the first semester here)
- Contact for questions is Dr. Hamblen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Want to brush up on your skills before you take the Math placement exam? Click here for practice tests in Arithmetic and Algebra, or visit PurpleMath.com (see "Preliminary Topics" and "Beginning Algebra Topics").
- Second Language (REQUIRED IN THE LANGUAGE YOU STUDIED IN HIGH SCHOOL)
- Contact is Dr. Motard-Noar at email@example.com
- Spanish, German or French — test is online in Blackboard (you may test in more than one language)
- If you need to take a placement exam in ASL, Chinese, Latin, or Arabic, please email your request to the First Year Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
ROUND 5 – CONNECT WITH YOUR ADVISOR AND GET SOME CLASSES!
- WHEN IS CLASS REGISTRATION?
- All FY students will start registration on JULY 24TH.
ROUND 6 – THE REAL DEAL FOR WHAT COMES NEXT!