To Apply for the Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan
First, the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet the eligibility requirements. Please refer to Financial Aid Self Service to determine whether or not the student has been awarded a Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan. If awarded, the student must accept or decline any loan offered on Financial Aid Self Service. If the student chooses to accept a Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan then the student must follow the steps below.
Go to studentloans.gov and log in using your FSA ID, then:
- Step 1: Choose the option Complete Entrance Counseling.
- Step 2: Choose the option Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN).
For help on Accepting Your Loans, watch this video tutorial »
For help with www.studentloans.gov, you may call 800-557-7394.
The Financial Aid Office will receive confirmation of the two completed steps above, and then the loan(s) will be processed for the maximum eligibility unless you request otherwise.
New Fall 2017 Freshman and Transfers
The priority deadline to complete the steps listed above is May 1, 2017.
Returning Undergraduate Students
The priority deadline to the complete the steps listed above is July 6, 2017.
Important Information to Have While Completing These Steps:
Please have the following information in front of you prior to beginning the MPN process so you don't have to exit before completing it:
- Your permanent address and telephone number.
- Your e-mail address (optional). If you have an e-mail address, we strongly suggest that you provide it so you will receive an e-mail confirmation of your E-MPN submission.
- Your full legal name and Social Security Number (you may wish to have your Social Security card in front of you).
- Your driver's license number, if applicable (you may wish to have your driver's license in front of you).
- Complete name, addresses, and telephone numbers of two references who have known you for at least three years. One reference should be a parent or legal guardian if available. The references must be two different people at different addresses within the United States.
For more information on the types of loans available to you, please click here.
For our Loan Cancellation Policy, please click here.
Cumulative Total Loan Limits
Federal regulations set aggregate (or total) loan limits in addition to the annual loan limits. You cannot borrow more than the aggregate loan limit for all subsidized and unsubsidized loans at all schools.
Aggregate Loan Limits
|MAXIMUM SUBSIDIZED||MAXIMUM COMBINED
(SUB & UNSUB)